1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Was this out of line or am I too sensitive?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Peanut182, Feb 22, 2012.

1. No. She sounds like a total ***. If you were running the staff meeting, would you berate her in front of everyone for failings you perceive in her leadership? Of course not. It's astonishing to me how people can be so sensitive and caring towards the pupils and simultaneously so vindictive and sneaky towards their colleagues.

2. Didn't think it was me. She has no people skills what so ever. I should really tell my mentor/induction tutor (she was ill on Monday) but I know what she will say, "That's just the way she is, take it with a pinch of salt, let it go over your head, pull yourself together..." My mum suggested I email the head directly to tell her that I didn't think it was appropriate, the way she spoke to me and I would like to know what action will be taken to support me. Also that I thought it was wrong to only give me criticism, in front of all the staff and not give me anything constructive at all.

I imagine if I did complain to her directly she would be quite vindictive.

3. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I would def tell your mentor and make a formal complaint. Also you shouldn't be having performance management in your nqt year. That's appalling treatment from her!

4. happydavid

happydavid New commenter

Hi atcat86,

What a horrible way to have been treated, and no, you were not being too sensitive. I really am at a loss to understand how the HT could possibly think that this sort of humiliation and unprofessional behaviour could inspire enthusiasm in anyone. I can imagine how awful you must feel.

Sadly, this whole business of having your "faults" and "failings" pointed out so starkly without any practical advice or support as to how you can improve matters is all too common. It is as prevalent in primaries as it is in secondaries, and extends all the way through the school to Early Years. In no way is this inspired leadership, and it is a poor way to treat anyone, be they a PGCEer or full member of staff.

Please don't let them get you down over this. You are a qualified professional and just as your job as a teacher is to provide a nurturing environment for the children in your class, if there are any issues with your teaching, YOU have the right to expect professionalism and support from those in school leadership roles. Please keep a dated written record of what has been said to you. If the HT shouts at you over this or anything else make a note of that too. Make a note of what you are doing to rectify matters in the light of the criticism you have already received. You must be prepared with a written record to defend what you are doing now to turn things around, just in case things escalate to the point of bullying in the future.

Please take care.

5. Thanks guys, great advice x

6. You could also have an off the record chat with your Union. see what guidance they give.

7. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Definitely not you being too sensitive. I would have cried! Surely the HT should have spoken to you in private about the concerns, so that when it was highlighted in the meeting you were at least aware and prepared for it. At my school I would hope that's what would happen - I wouldn't mind colleagues seeing that I was struggling to achieve progress with my class, as I think they would rally round and see what they could do to support me, but I would want to know first.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It could well be that the EYFS teacher was unduly lenient in assessing them. Was the EYFS teacher perhaps about to pass Threshold and needed to demonstarte excellent progress by her pupil?
    Again, did they just accept this high achievement in EYFS? Was it significantly out of kilter with previous years with a similar starting point?
    How do the assessemnts for your pupils compare with that achieved by previous groups at this stage?
    It would have helped had you baseline assessed the pupils att he start of the school year as this would have shown up an discepancies with the assessments made at the end of EYFS.
    Assessments of pupils entering YR 7 often shown a significant decline in their NC levels based on their end of KS2 'achievements'.
    If your pupils were categorised higher than they should have been in EYFS, you have an impossible task in showing satisfactory progress.
    Another issue is whether you, or someone else, is being overly strict in categorising pupils now.

9. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I am in a similar situation in terms of data - the kids haven't made as much progress as they should have. I think some came up assessed too high from reception, and also am not yet confident in my own judgement so submitted slightly pessimistic levels for them - I'd rather that than hand in high levels now and get to the end of the year and find I did it wrong.
    However, the way my head dealt with this was to call me in to a meeting to chat about it, and discuss what the issue was. I was really worried about it but she was helpful and we've put some strategies in place. This head is not really known for her diplomacy normally so what yours did seems extra bad!!
    haven't got any advise on how to deal with it though I'm afraid :(