1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Was there ever a more satisfying resolution?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Oct 26, 2018.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

In popular music?
    Than this?
    You know. At the end.
    Where we finally, finally, finally return to the tonic!

I can't think of one that's better than this. In terms of keeping you waiting and waiting so very long. Almost to the point of getting angry! And then finding resolution. Phew.

peter12171, nomad and needabreak like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Have you been at those dodgy mushrooms again ?

needabreak likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Nice song... I like it.

My mum use to play it in the car on the drive to school.

It's only when I got older I registered the line about ''whores on seventh avenue" and seeking comfort there.

Mermaid7 and nomad like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It is good, but resolution to the tonic is only a small part of what makes a piece of music satisfying. The way in which modulations are used in the piece matters too.

Personally I love the compositions of Tony Banks, the absolute master of modulation. Listen to the way in which the second verse modulates into the middle eight in this number of his (sung by Nik Kershaw.)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

There can be no doubt Simon and Garfunkel's music is beautiful and Simon was an incredible writer - but I just find the pitch and overall sound of their music saddens, to the point of depression.

I get the same feeling (much worse) whenever I hear the Carpenters.

nomad likes this.
  6. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Not a song, but tension and release and a bit more.... absolutely brilliant :)

7. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

And much less frustrating than the Beethoven style of resolution, perfectly parodied by Dudley Moore:

nomad likes this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The subject of Desert Island Discs chose S and G's "America" this am - another gorgeous song from the past. He said he was so excited when he first travelled to the US and travelled on the New Jersey turnpike.
    I never went clubbing but Basement Jaxx has a track called Rendez Vous that has a guitar bit in the middle that builds tension and then is resolved fabulously as everyone flings themselves around the dance floor - er - the kitchen. Creators of dance music know all there is to know about building tension and then letting it go.