1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

was the starch test 'fixed' in 'Botany' ...the power of plants?

Discussion in 'Science' started by timwallach, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Beautiful starch test on nasturtium leaves. Stunning results. Anyone else ever managed this? We briefly glimpsed a result that had been left on the desk which showed a more classic school result: a smear of black on a decolourised leaf.
    Or just me being grumpy?
    'Botany: A Blooming History' BBC4, Tuesday evenings at 9pm, 14th June - The Power of Plants (Photosynthesis)

2. Beautiful starch test on nasturtium leaves. Stunning results. Anyone else ever managed this? We briefly glimpsed a result that had been left on the desk which showed a more classic school result: a smear of black on a decolourised leaf.
    Or just me being grumpy?
    'Botany: A Blooming History' BBC4, Tuesday evenings at 9pm, 14th June - The Power of Plants (Photosynthesis)

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've done this prac loads of times with less than convincing results. We use geranium leaves and you have to illuminate the plant for at least 48 hours straight with the lamp just few cm from the leaves to even notice any darkening.

4. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011wz4q/Botany_A_Blooming_History_Photosynthesis/

27 min 43 sec for 'amazing' result

5. spolem1

spolem1 New commenter

We do this with stencils that the students cut out, and yes, sometimes we get beautiful results like that. Not often though, and I couldn't tell you what the difference is between those which get a sharp outline and those which get a fuzzy blob.......
    Our technician destarches plants by sticking them in the cupboard for a couple of days, then we don't shine lights on them, but put them on the windowsill for a day or two. Works best in summer term, obviously.

6. thanks! will try again

7. I saw the result on "Botany" and tried Nasturtiums in class. The result is much more clear, a nice dark black colour!