1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Was the quickstep designed to accommodate dancists like me?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I fear that although I have been dragged onto the dance floor more times than enough in my life, I don't deserve to be called a dancist. I've just listened to Len Goodman introduce a quickstep and pondered whether the dance was devised to reduce the risk of having the feet trampled on by the dance partner.

Or have I got it wrong and the dance is intended to demonstrate skill akin to doing the sword dance?

2. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Not at all. In my younger days I could trip the light fantastic in many ways, and still can to some extent. At the end of the day some people can dance and some can't.

3. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

My dancing veers between 'awkward dad at a BBQ' and 'stripper the night before the rent is due' depending on how much I've drunk.
    It may not be pretty, but I always enjoy myself. :D

guinnesspuss and Duke of York like this.
  4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I used to enjoy a quickstep but as I have aged (badly) I am reduced to a waltz and may yet be condemned to a shuffle

5. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Scottish country dances are the best. None of that tricky feet stuff, plenty of non-sexual bodily contact and plenty of scope for people who haven't a clue what they're supposed to do.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

My horrible father forced me to go to ballroom dance classes with the son of his latest woman friend when I was 14/15. This means that I can do all of the ballroom dances but I was a punk at that time so you can imagine my resentment. I think the teacher probably didn't realise that my tango face was, in fact, a scowl.
    I got very good at deliberately treading on my partner's foot when his hand moved to my bum. He did that a lot :mad:

guinnesspuss likes this.
  7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What is a dancist? Is it different from a dancer?

8. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

It's similar to the difference between a racer and a racist.

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It has always been a mating ritual:)