1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Was the 2010 Reading SAT particularly tricky? Help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrsBauer, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Just doing some practice tests with my class before the dreaded SATs this year and wondered whether anyone else's children nose dived on the 2010 Golden Dreams paper? (We didn't do them last yr)
    After we did the test their faces said it all. Most of them said it was hard. The last ones we did were 08 and 04. I've had half my class drop by a good 6 marks ish on average. Should I panic?!
    Thanks

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I had the opposite! We did Golden Dreams in March. Most of mine went up 5-7 points from the 2006 one we did in January, the biggest increase was 10 points!

3. Anyone else find this?

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Well, I wouldn't panic either way! Mine will probably do much worse in the "real" one than yours[​IMG] A third of them came out as level 5's on that one and there is NO way they are!

5. Anyone else?

6. Yep! We've just done the same and i'm v disappointed with the scores. My poorer ones did exceptionally poor as there weren't any multi choice/circle the boxes type ones were at least they can have a guess. I think this put them off a bit at the beginning. I wouldn't worry though, i'm sure they'll pull it out of the bag on the day!
    B x

7. hmmm I'm never normally that optimistic! maybe its the sunshine!

8. Thanks for replying. It's good to know that someone feels the same as me! I was also harsh when marking I think. Eeek. Never mind, we'll go through it and learn from it (quickly I hope!) :)

9. That's what we have done. I was also harsh with the marking, much better that way! Good luck with the real thing!

10. My class did it as a practice - little or no or even a drop in levels from January when they did the 2008 paper. Disappointing and I'm panicing now! I've highlighted the children I know can do better and will do some reading intervention with them when we go back.

11. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I would say that the 2010 paper was the best one in years. The 2009 paper was horrible though.

Each school/class/teacher is different though, so don't worry about it.

I would also add that the 2009 writing wasn't great either, while last year was much more fun.

12. Last year's writing was pretty fun to read as a marker. The trainers... oh god the trainers!
    I think with last year's reading there were a few questions where you had to word things fairly specifically to get the mark (the one about the block of gold under the Eiffel Tower is one that rings a faint bell) - but I don't have the mark scheme to hand to think of the exact ones... just a vague recollection of a few with similar degrees of "pickyness" in the answers required. Also lots and lots of questions requiring written answers like someone said - rather than the circle the correct one which even your weakest kids could have a chance at getting a couple of marks by sheer luck with!
    That's from very hazy memories though - moved house recently so no idea where my annotated markscheme is.