1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Was Mother Teresa good or evil?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by theworm123, Aug 11, 2020.

1. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

People here love a good debate so he’s a one, was Mother Teresa good or evil?

My opening argument;

Mother Teresa is now a saint, but that’s only a platitude she was given by the Catholic Church for whom she was actually an ambassador. Almost of the money she raised over the decades was actually funnelled into Vatican bank accounts and never saw Calcutta.

Mother Teresa also received the Nobel Peace Prize and used her speech to call for bans on contraception and abortion, Pope John Paul II was in cahoots as he was a rabid ultra conservative and traditionalist, they both opposed Vatican II reforms.

Mother Teresa claimed frailty and to be afraid of the limelight when it came to media, in fact she loved it and used any opportunity to get attention. She actually spent most of her time touring the West and particularly courted communist dictators trying to cause their downfall, a hope also shared by John Paul II. she also courted fraudsters such as Charles Keating and Robert Maxwell, using their private jets and refused to return money she received which was taken from scam victims.

In Calcutta, Aroup Chatterjee found in his book from interviewing locals that her nuns were NOT ever out doing charity work and infact turned away the ‘poorest of the poor’ unless they were Catholic. Her huns to this day keep this up. She herself was never in India to help anyone in the first place.

Her ‘hospice’ didn’t provide medical care, it was meant for people to suffer and be converted, reusing needles, questionable sanitation and anyone suspected of having family members were thrown out. Her missions abroad are actually just convents. The Calcutta locals didn’t actually know who she was, she wanted to keep the false image of Calcutta the west still has to keep the donations coming in.

Her main aim was to actually spread Catholicism and preach against abortion and contraception. She even gave up on this attempted here and Ireland because we were modernising. Even Margaret Thatcher refused to listen to her preaching.

Her main aim in life wasn’t to end poverty, she wanted the poor to embrace their poverty and called it ‘beautiful’ as suffering brought them closer to God in her mind.

She made friends with extremely questionable people and was more than happy to refuse to travel in anything but first class, she refused to provide medical care to the poor but was very happy to receive world class treatment for her many illnesses in the US.

There’s more points than just this but my assessment is that she was a cunning, narcissistic, hypocritical old fraud who was also a fanatical fundamentalist and no different to the Taliban. She has never ever helped anybody and manipulated the media and the world in so many ways. She was always meddling in politics and infact forced her nuns to vote, she was a politician herself in many ways.

Any one have an concurring or opposing argument to make?

2. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

There’s lots of individuals in history, usually a mix of good and bad, different values and motivations.
    Reputations seemed to be formed by the values of the present. One nations freedom fighters is another’s terrorists.
    It sounds as if you’re motivated by not agreeing with her values. Why not just say so?

3. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Established commenter

4. theworm123

Anyway evidence to back up your claim?

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Unless you subscribe to a religious belief, the opposite of 'good' is not 'evil'.

Evil and sinful are religious concepts.

Was she iniquitous, depraved, vicious, corrupt, base, vile, nefarious, pernicious and destructive?

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Can we stick with discussing Mother Theresa and let Margaret Thatcher have a thread of her own?

7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  8. alex_teccy

I think you damage your credibility by comparing her to the Taliban, though.

sbkrobson likes this.
  9. Wanda_the_Wonder

'Was she iniquitous, depraved, vicious, corrupt, base, vile, nefarious, pernicious and destructive?'

She (Saint Mother Teresa not Mrs Thatcher) was the exact opposite of all those qualities.

10. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I could almost take the opening post as informative and dispassionate since they are all things which could be backed up (if I could be arrused to go and check) until the last bit which is the opinion bit.
    To say that she is therefore "no different to the Taliban" is an unnecessarily manipulative statement, designed to emote rather than compare, and also not very well substantiated. Possibly because it can't be, but again, I really cannot be arrused to go and check. What I do know is that Malala Youssefzei was given the Mother Teresa award maybe 10 years ago for bravery and resistance and fighting for rights and the good cause of education for all and such. And yet it was in effect against precisely the oppression of Taliban that she campaigned in various ways. So that alone makes your comparison rather odd. Are you suggesting that the award was some sort of front to put us off the scent?

However, I am still very grateful for the long awaited opportunity to post the only Teresa joke I ever stored in my vaults of puerility.
    "Dad, how come my sister is called Teresa?"
    "That's cos your mum loves Easter, so we chose an anagram of Easter as the name for our child"
    "Aw. That's nice. Thanks for the story dad"
    "No problem, Alan"

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Laphroig, ajrowing, sodalime and 3 others like this.
  12. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

She was neither good nor evil, very few of us are one or the other.

13. theworm123

The right wing evangelical Christian movement was in the Republican Party have been referred to as the American Taliban, I was going for that aesthetic.

Her brand of Catholicism was no different from Islamism if you put into perspective.

ajrowing likes this.
  14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Can give examples of why islamism is no different from the Catholicism of MT?

alex_teccy likes this.
  15. alex_teccy

I cannot agree at all and it’s nit a question of “perspective”.
    Islamist murder people on a vast scale using brutal methods. Catholics do not. In fact I cannot think of a single terorist Catholic organisation.

I feel you have some sort of motivation to try and make out that Catholics are “as bad” as Islamists? What cognitive dissonance are you trying to resolve?

16. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

The impression I have been left with is that, whatever the beginnings of her 'charitable' work, it became an end in itself, ie the whole point was for her and her followers to be able to 'serve' God by doing what would be seen as charitable work, whether or not that was of any benefit to those they were supposed to be helping.
    I don't think it's unheard of in charities

(Or governments, for that matter)

17. Wanda_the_Wonder

18. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Islam and Christianity are not evils in themselves.
    Huge amounts of good works come from both and from all religions - just as good comes from non religious organisations -
    Evil comes from humans within those organisations and there are cases of evil - from the crimes of IS and the IRA as terrorists - to the callousness of Victorian humanitarian interventions.
    Mother Teresa and her order were flawed and delight is taken in revealing this but all missionary activities are seated in the society and constraints of their times.
    I give you just one example.
    My kinder was in Mexico where there are orphanages to house abandoned children. Her orphanage housed about 50 children and they were cared for by two local women who were nuns. The care of these children, some of whom had special needs, was far below our societal norms. There was no education, play provision or basic hygiene facility. Just food and somewhere to sleep. The carers were not cruel but were not capable.

monicabilongame and sbkrobson like this.
  19. alex_teccy

Interesting. Religion motivates people to do good as well as harm. Would they do either anyway?

20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Catholic extremist. I'm not surprised she didn't quite see how far away from the principles of Jesus Christ her mission got. Easy to be persuaded that filling the Vatican coffers is as godly as serving the poor.