1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Was ITV2 right to show Contagion?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nixmith, Mar 26, 2020.

1. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

I clicked on my TV guide earlier today and saw ITV2 was showing Contagion at 9pm tonight (A deadly virus sweeps across the globe, and an international team of scientists struggles to both find a vaccine and prevent the disease spreading further. The husband of one of the first victims tries to cope with the impact on his family, while an online conspiracy theorist claims to have developed a cure. Thriller, with Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law)

I assumed my TV guide had been put in place some weeks ago, but I was mistaken and the film started with the usual script: this film has themes that some people may find upsetting (I paraphrase) and then it was shown!

Quite surprised or am I being an old fuddy-duddy?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

What were they thinking?

3. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

It's a movie. You can watch something else if you feel like it.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I did, well I didn't actually watch anything I missed it, I'm beginning to wish I'd seen it now, but an evening trip to the local supermarket for bread and milk set my heart racing as it was, I probably wouldn't cope with a difficult watch as well. :oops:

5. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

It's on itv2+1 at the moment.

Kevin

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If I had to hazard a guess, how much revenue the adverts would bring in.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Thanks but it's a bit late for me now.

Just watched the trailer.. :eek:o_O

8. harsh-but-fair

If it had been shown on the BBC you'd be in full blown apoplexy by now.

9. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

I must admit to coming across it as I flicked through the channels - I was amazed it was on. Sure enough I skipped over it.

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I was actually thinking the other day that I wanted to read novels and films on the topic of Pandemic. For me I must have been seeking catharsis in some way. Or new ways to look at what we now have going on. Or perhaps I thought the dramatisation of the topic would allow perspective and, dunno, distance.
    So I'm surprised at the reaction in this thread.
    I reread The Plague by Camus, which I think I first read in my teens.
    That is bleak though.
    And slightly boring.
    And it smelled of old book, because that's what it was.
    What we have now is not easy, but it's no apocalypse and it wont be. That much comes, that reassurance, from viewing films and reading books about the thing.
    None of them are true, but parts of them are what you know.
    We always know better than films.

agathamorse and Laphroig like this.
  11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

No, I wouldn't.

12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Nothing with Matt Damon has ever been worth watching anyway (except that Mr Ripley film. He was good in that).

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Quick quick, the mind readers are among us!

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It raises an interesting philosphical question:

If someone drops a clanger on ITV2 will anybody hear?

Laphroig and Morninglover like this.
  15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's been available on Netflix and other streamed content providers for some time, and given nearly half of all households have such things, the choice to watch or not watch it remains exactly the same. It's not something I'd watch at such times (although I would at others) but if someone enjoys it, I don't see the harm. I'm guessing it's about a scenario considerably more extreme than we'll end up suffering with Coronavirus. On that basis, it's still escapism for those that want to watch it, yet no-one is being forced to. I can't actually remember the last time I watched something on ITV2.

16. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

17. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

The BBC made two series of 'The Survivors', one in the mid-Seventies, and another in 2008, after the SARS virus epidemic. Both make salutary viewing now.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I was reading this book less than a month ago I might not choose to read it now!

Attached Files:

agathamorse likes this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I saw it on the list of Freeview films and decided not to watch, in the same way that I will not watch '28 Days After' or read Nevil Shute's 'On the Beach'.

In order to keep mentally positive I am trying to avoid watching or reading negative stuff (including Scintillant's pontificating #liar posts and Nellyfuff's bloody paranoia).

agathamorse and border_walker like this.
  20. harsh-but-fair