1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Warwick PGCE MFL Interview

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by unch, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I've an interview in a few weeks in Warwick, and I'd love to hear from anybody else that has been through it. I'd like to know what is expected from us regarding our two languages at the interview - do we have to write essays or correct a sample of a student's work etc? Also will we have to do the same type of task in both the languages, or a written task in one and a spoken interview in the other?
    They have asked us to relate our micro teaching task (3-5 mins) to our area of teaching, but I'm not sure what standard to aim it towards - for example the interview may be also for prospective history or mathematics teachers as well as foreign languages, or we may be grouped with those that speak the same language. I'd like to do it in TL but don't want to exclude anybody.

Anybody that can shed even a little bit of light on this, thank you in advance.

2. Hello,
    I've an interview in a few weeks in Warwick, and I'd love to hear from anybody else that has been through it. I'd like to know what is expected from us regarding our two languages at the interview - do we have to write essays or correct a sample of a student's work etc? Also will we have to do the same type of task in both the languages, or a written task in one and a spoken interview in the other?
    They have asked us to relate our micro teaching task (3-5 mins) to our area of teaching, but I'm not sure what standard to aim it towards - for example the interview may be also for prospective history or mathematics teachers as well as foreign languages, or we may be grouped with those that speak the same language. I'd like to do it in TL but don't want to exclude anybody.

Anybody that can shed even a little bit of light on this, thank you in advance.

3. Hi
    I did my PGCE at Warwick, but it was back in 1995-96. I have to say that the only language work I had to do was to speak in both French & German.
    The PGCE there is brilliant. I was so well prepared for real teaching, even though I did feel that I signed my life away for the year.
    The tutors are fantastic. Good luck

4. Hello,

Did my interview here for MFL a few weeks ago.

You need to write in English and your one other language in the writing task (no correcting any work). Your second language will be tested orally. The micro-teaching class will just be to the other MFLers...so another 4 people maximum. TL is always a good idea!

Good luck!

5. Good luck for both of you. Whilst I was there I decided that Warwick is one of the best unis. There is so much on offer for students (if you have the time)
    If you are taught / interviewed by Ann Barnes you are onto a winner. She is very good at teaching you exactly what you need to need to know.
    I had a lot of interviews on the back of having Warwick as my PGCE

6. Unfortunately Ann Barnes passed away a few years ago due to cancer I believe...I heard some really great things about her too...very sad. [​IMG]

7. That makes me really sad as she was inspirational, even though I never did understand her mantra of listen before you speak before you read before you write. Now, many years later I know exactly what she was going on about. (and she was so young!)

8. Thank you for replying to my question with your generous advice and insight. I am sorry to hear about the passing of a lady whom I understand to be a greatly inspirational teacher.
    I went to the interview and I loved everything about it - the interview, the attitude and openness of those I encountered, the campus and the library. I can't quite believe it, but I am delighted to say that I my application was successful.
    I only had a few hours to explore at the time of the interview, so I had to wait until my next visit to discover Coventry. This I did last week as I searched for a place to lay my head in September, and I absolutely fell for the place. I am so excited about starting the PGCE that I almost can't wait, despite preparing for a tough ride. I believe it will be well worth it in the end.
    Ciao!

9. Hello! Looks like we'll be on the same(ish) course from September! What is/are your language(s)?

Jo

10. I was so sad to hear that Ann Barnes had passed away (in 2009). I often met her at conferences and she invited me to give a guest lecture on ICT to her students in 2007. She had been on chemo at that time but still possessed phenomenal energy and retained her great sense of humour. We swapped experiences as I had recently been diagnosed with cancer too (in 2006). I expected her to survive a lot longer as she looked so fit and well at the time. All her family, friends and colleagues miss her deeply.
    You can read her obituary here:
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/wie/news/annbarnes/
    Regards
    Graham Davies

11. Ann taught me everything I know about MFL teaching. I just hope she would be proud of that, and I know that others will feel the same.
    For those doing a Warwick PGCE, good luck & enjoy it as much as I did

12. MsLDV

MsLDV New commenter

I was in that very room Graham. Hope you are still doing well.
    Ann was a total inspiration and a huge presence in the classroom. I had the priviledge of being taught by her. An amazing woman who faught with grace and dignity.
    She is missed by all who were lucky enough to have known her.
    RIP my mentor x

13. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Here, here, 'an amazing woman' indeed. My guess is that we are all on this forum because of the way that we were encouraged to go to various websites. I loved it when she taught me German. One of the best parts of the Warwick PGCE was the extra-tailored language lessons.
    MM

14. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I forgot to mention her amazing 'dry' sense of humour! [​IMG]