1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WARNING: you will NOT get a Tier 2 visa as a (non-math/science) teacher!

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by Cecily52579, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Cecily52579

Cecily52579 New commenter

In the interests of saving anybody else the heartbreak I've experienced, I'd like to warn overseas teachers that right now, Tier 2 visas are only being awarded to people who have job offers that are at least 60k pounds per year. This means that unless you are a math/science/computer science teacher (those are on the shortage lists), you might very well receive a job offer to teach in the UK, but you will be denied the visa. You will not have the salary needed to achieve the points for a Tier 2 visa.

It happened to me :(

2. teachntravel

teachntravel New commenter

Not always true, I am currently on a tier 2 general visa as a primary teacher, which I got in 2014, mine is due to be extended in December and I don't think there will be a problem, neither does the school. Was this recent and are you sure it was the salary that did it?

3. Cecily52579

It isn't recent: every month since December 2017, there have been many more applicants than the cap/quota allows. Since December, nobody making less than 50k has been granted sponsorship certificate for the visa. This means that lower earners like teachers are refused every month. You should look at the TES #LetThemTeach articles, which explains this more. The visa situation is a crisis for non-EE teachers in the UK.

And look here, for the monthly allocations: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ons-of-restricted-certificates-of-sponsorship

A few weeks ago, the government removed NHS doctors and nurses from the visa cap system, but this probably won't make a huge difference to lower salary earners like yourself.

Sorry, but you are a little misinformed if your work told you that there won't be a problem. Nobody on your salary band has been OKed since November.

4. Cecily52579

Also, yes, it is the salary. They are awarded on a points system, and the points are calculated mainly by salary.

You can google the point allocation system for RCOS and check your salary band. You'll see that you have a much lower number of points than what has been required since November.

5. teachntravel

Sorry, I think because I am only extending, not applying for a new visa, that it is slightly more straight forward. Because I am already here doing the job, there is no labour market test either.
    I have read the articles, and I don't believe I am misinformed.
    I really hope they have a solution soon, because a 60,000£ salary is outrageous as a starting point.

6. Cecily52579

If you read the articles, you'll see that many of the examples are of teachers who are already at work in the UK on the Tier 2 visa, and then discover that their schools are not able to renew the visa.

It might be a really good idea to talk to an immigration expert who is not associated with your school.

7. teachntravel

The articles I have read seem to have a focus on teachers who were on Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visas, and then wanted to switch to Tier 2. I have not seen any examples of people who wanted to extend on their Tier 2 and were denied. Please provide the link if you have one, as it would be good to read it.
    I have contacted an outside agency for immigration and was given the same information as my school gave me, because they are extending, not applying for a new one, they are exempt from the RCOS rulse and they are therefore exempt from the salary threshold fluctuating.

8. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

Extending a Tier 2 General does NOT fall under the cap. Most instances I have read about teachers being denied while already in post were switching from Tier 5 to Tier 2, where a Restricted certificate of sponsorship was required (these are the CoS under the cap - unrestricted CoS do NOT fall under the cap).

teachntravel likes this.
  9. ed717

ed717 New commenter

Sorry you've had to go through this. Its absolutely ridiculous... teachers are leaving in droves, they should be welcoming those interested in coming to teach with open arms!

teachntravel likes this.
  10. teachntravel

Thank you @oscillator for clearing that up.
    I agree with @ed717 , it is terrible and I really hope a solution is found soon, it isn't fair on people like yourself who want to do it!

11. heidig791

heidig791 New commenter

@teachntravel was it renewed? Any advice or help for someone who wants to come teach now?

12. teachntravel

I applied not long ago and it can be up to 8 weeks so I do not have an answer yet. I will ensure I update when I do. Process for renewal was very straightforward. Please PM if you want specific details :)