1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Warning, please help

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by princesslegend, May 4, 2012.

1. princesslegend

princesslegend New commenter

Wondering if one of you lovely people can help me?

Can a DH issue a verbal warning to a HOD or does it have to come from the HT? Also, does the verbal warning come with a follow up letter confirming said warning? Warning is for something very trivial rather than anything serious.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the bank holiday!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. princesslegend

princesslegend New commenter

Wondering if one of you lovely people can help me?

Can a DH issue a verbal warning to a HOD or does it have to come from the HT? Also, does the verbal warning come with a follow up letter confirming said warning? Warning is for something very trivial rather than anything serious.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the bank holiday!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. A few quick comments:
    1) Does DH have any line management responsibilities over HOD?
    2) What does the school's capabiity/disciplinary polcies say?
    3) HOD should keep a log and record such verbal warnings and ask for written confirmation.

4. jellycowfish

jellycowfish New commenter

I received a 'slap on the wrist', without any follow up letter, and was only informed months later that it had been a verbal warning - I was told then by someone else that I should have received a written confirmation.

5. A verbal warning is formally recorded in writing where it remains on your file for however long is specified in your school's disciplinary procedures. These presumably specify who may give a verbal warning: if a DH has done this I would expect it to be in accordance with delegated authority. If there is no further disciplinary occurrence within the specified period (6 months is standard) it should be expunged. Normally you are provided with formal notification of what has happened, the status of the incident and your recourse to appeal