1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Warning - hormonal rant!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by m55, Dec 8, 2011.

1. m55

m55 New commenter

Apologies in advance but need to get something off my ever increasing chest . . .
    Just getting a bit fed up of being told to 'take it easy' and 'make sure you get enough rest' by the very same people who are expecting me to cram entire courses into half a term with low ability, very badly behaved pupils (with no TA support), produce work on mid-week notice when I can barely walk after a full day's teaching and do catch-up and revision sessions with pupils who are behind because they can't be bothered to work in class.
    Before you say anything I know these are all part of our wonderful job and I accept that it was my decision to get pregnant. My rant is that these people then say to me 'you look dreadful', 'are you getting enough rest?' and ' you have to put yourself and bubs first'. Make your minds up people please - this is just taking the mick.
    Rant over.

2. m55

m55 New commenter

Apologies in advance but need to get something off my ever increasing chest . . .
    Just getting a bit fed up of being told to 'take it easy' and 'make sure you get enough rest' by the very same people who are expecting me to cram entire courses into half a term with low ability, very badly behaved pupils (with no TA support), produce work on mid-week notice when I can barely walk after a full day's teaching and do catch-up and revision sessions with pupils who are behind because they can't be bothered to work in class.
    Before you say anything I know these are all part of our wonderful job and I accept that it was my decision to get pregnant. My rant is that these people then say to me 'you look dreadful', 'are you getting enough rest?' and ' you have to put yourself and bubs first'. Make your minds up people please - this is just taking the mick.
    Rant over.

3. I feel your pain!
    We are expected to do too much at the best of times and I too am struggling with it even more now I'm pregnant (3rd trimester woo-hoo, light at the end of the tunnel!)
    I don't know what else to say except DITTO and I hope you feel a bit better for getting it off your chest. Take it easy (LOL) and remember that your child (and your health) is more important than any of those you teach - in fact, more important than all of them put together!!!
    hugs x

4. Not a hormonal rant - entirely justified.
    I've been observed twice in my first trimester and asked again when I'm going to start an additional after school club to my coursework support one. Heavy hints being dropped about how I should be staying here in the evenings to support others putting on a concert by being in the audience. Got a huge marking load but being told I shoud be using my free to offer training to other staff. Enough already.

5. Not hormonal at all - perfectly justified!
    It really really annoys me when people tell me to take it easy and rest. OK, then, what shall I NOT do? Shall I not mark the mock exams? Not prepare for Ofsted this week? Maybe I shouldn't mark the other 500 pieces of work I've managed to get through this half-term? Or maybe I should give up being a mum to my other children - would that work?
    No. Unless they're willing to take on the work I have to do, they need to shut up and go away, I completely agree. I find a withering stare and a sarcastic smile goes a long way! [​IMG]