1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Warner Brothers Harry Potter tour

Discussion in 'Personal' started by perdita, May 5, 2012.

1. My Harry Potter obsessed daughter has been saving all her spending money so that she can afford an adult and child ticket for this tour.
    Have any of you been? Is it worth the entrance fee and the cost of a couple of train tickets to London? I can't bear the thought of her spending her money if it isn't any good.
    P.S. There's no way I'm going to be able to let her buy me a ticket - I'll pay for my ticket and the train fare, she can buy her own ticket.

2. If you are going by train remember you get better deals if you book sometime in advance; check on money saving websites you might find a discount code. You might not- but always worth checking!

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

OK the place is good, the sets, costumes etc are fantastic however there are a few points to consider

1) It is a SET show not about the characters, so if you kids are expecting to see lots of character stories or to see harry grow up they will be disappointed.
    2) It could be a lot more interactive, eg I wanna walk on the floating stairs, make a potion etc not just look at the props that were made.

It is good, and the kids we saw loved it, even better when they are dressed up as wizards and witches as the staff who are dotted ALL over the place talk to them and big it up!

The gift shop is expensive (eg the cheapest thing is a lolly for about £3) They have really missed a trick with 'tat' for the kids, ie a £1 chocolate money or a £2 plastic copy of someones ring.

All in all, I enjoyed it once I got into the mind set of it is a behind the scenes tour, not about the books and characters.

4. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

Ok i'm back :)

I can say i thought it was worth the money, the sets and scenes are amazing and it's hard to take it all in!!
    They don't rush you so you can take your time and really look at the stuff ( in between waiting for people to move so you can get the picture you want, lol).
    As another poster said i won't spoil it by going into too much detail but if your daughter is a Potter fan she will love it. There were lots of people there who had dressed up to go and for children they have a passport and can you can collect stamps as you go around the various pieces.
    There is an opportunity to ride on a broom stick with a CGI background (they will provide cloaks and stuff to dress up in), you can't take your own pictures here but they will take one and charge you £12 for them and and you can also have your photo taken with a daily prophet CGI background, again £12 for one photo. ( bit steep imo)
    I tried a butterbeer while i was there and paid £2.95 for it, it's not unpleasant and not alcoholic so ok for kids, lol.
    The giftshop was silly priced, £7.95 for a chocolate frog, £8.95 for some Bertie beans and everything you can imagine Potterwise but at a cost.
    We were there just over two hours but you could easily spend upto 3-4.
    The scale model of the castle is AMAZING!!!! and the lighting changes over time so you see it at night and day.
    That's it from me, off to upload all my photos now, lol.

5. If your daughter is a HP fan - then this is not to be missed for her ! Took my 2 , my 14 year old burst into tears when we got there cos of the excitement......

I enjoyed it but not to the same extent as them.

6. Another reason for me to not go. Sorry, I find those prices ridiculous. Especially that you cannot take your own photos.

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

You can take your own photos EVERYWHERE on the tour (I took about 300 and whittled it down to about 150 good ones), bar 2 places.
    1) so they can charge you for the picture, but you can still DO the experience and elect not to buy the picture.
    2) if you took your own picture it would just you against a green screen, The £12 it a fully mocked up picture as you would see in the film.

The prices are steep, but they are the same type of prices you would pay at say Alton Towers/Camelot etc

8. I am still not convinced it is worth it.
    I shall wait a few months and see how the longterm reviews are.

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

My niece made some of those!
    *proud aunt [​IMG]*

10. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Talent runs in your family then?

11. marlin

12. Thank you for all your replies.
    I've relented and told her that I will take her (she still thinks she's paying for the tickets) but, I've just discovered that it's not actually in London, which makes the journey rather more complicated (we live in Leeds). I imagine we'll have to get the train to Kings Cross and then get another train to the venue. Does anyone have experience of this?

13. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Good-oh - can she help me with my potions? :D

14. I'm sure she could. Her bedroom is littered with jars of coloured liquid, labelled with magical sounding names. I presume this is all Harry Potter related.

15. Perdita - they run buses direct from the station to the studio, however if you can, I would consider driving, it is dead easy to get to from the M25.

16. marlin

17. Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure that my ancient car would get that far[​IMG]
    Do the buses run from Kings Cross, or is it a station nearer the studios?

18. Just seen your reply - thank you!

19. Perdita, I had the best time, it was amazing. So much to see and so impressed by the creativity and detail.
    Defo recommend taking your daughter if she is big on Harry Potter. I was practically wetting myself with excitement.
    As lots of other people have said the Gift Shop is very expensive, but I had to have a wand. Didn't think I could go to HP and not get one. My other half tried to refuse me on the grounds that £25 pound is a lot of money for a bit of plastic that doesn't do anything but I am embarrased to admit I threw a little hissy fit and he relented.
    So my advice is if you do want to get her a gift set yourself a limit. I would have happily spent a fortune of "stuff" but the reality is that apart from the wand everything else was rather typical of overpriced attractions. (t-Shirts, Mugs, Notepads etc) Some of the sweets were pretty cool but again expensive.
    There was a bus that was ferrying people back and forward fairly regularly from the station. Some people had come from as far as New York so think you should be ok in terms of making your way their. The website gives very detailed directions for a variety of transports.
    Last tip. I took 100s of photographs - I teach Media and film and I am planning a student trip at some point so wanted some pics to show my Year 12s. Make sure you take a decent camera some of the pics are unreal.

20. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

My son went with school last week and loved it. He had £15.00 spending money and lost it! He still had a great time though. I phoned up the next day and enquired with lost property and the £15.00 had been handed in, it wasn't in a wallet or envelope or anything. The very next day it was on our doorstep, courstesy of first class post, which we were all amazed by!
    I tried to book some tickets for the family to go during August but they were sold out until evening tours and it's too far away for that. We are going in October half term instead.