1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Warm Up Games/Exercises Year 9 Naturalism

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by cjsmith25, Nov 20, 2011.

1. No matter how hard I try, my year 9s just don't take warm up games/exercises seriously unless it's a game like Splat! or Zip Zap Boing. I tried to do a focus exercise with them last week, and they just giggled throughout.
    Our scheme of work this half term is focused on the genre of Naturalism - what warm up games/exercises can I do with them that links to that? ...and that they might actually have a bash at...?
    Much love from frustrated ITT...
    CJ.

2. <font size="2">I make no claims to being an expert here, but I suspect that this has more to do with the precedents that have been set in the drama room than the relevance of the activities you are choosing. If your Yr9s have always been allowed to play silly games in Drama then that is all they are going to want to do. You now have the onerous task of reprogramming them and, let&rsquo;s be honest, they are going to resist that.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">In answer to your question about games with links to naturalism, I&rsquo;m afraid that I&rsquo;ve never heard of a game that specifically links in with that. Presumably you will be exploring Stanislavsky methods of character development. Since much of the &lsquo;system&rsquo; was very introspective it doesn&rsquo;t lend itself to whizzy games.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">How about coming at it from a different angle? Instead of playing games at the start of your session, why not guide them through a physical/vocal warm up? Do some stretching, some rolling down the spine, deep breathing, a bit of humming. Talk to them about starting the character from a neutral position and then moving on to adding the characterisations based on their research. The whole thing should last between 5 and 10 mins tops. They&rsquo;ll still grumble that they&rsquo;re not playing their favourite games but stick to your guns and by the time you get to the next topic you might have won them over.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Good luck</font>

3. Send someone out the room, put an object in the middle and agree as a group what the object will be (a rat, a gun, some flowers, etc) then the person has to guess when they come back in
    I think it's an old Stanislavski one
    Try some instant improvisations based on objectives or given circumstances
    Visualisation works well for me, and there's a good emotion memory scheme on this site somewhere, I think
    Physical Relaxation exercises might be a bit much for an inexperienced class, but they are a good thing to practice
    "Justification" is a good Naturalism game, I think. I do it with A modelling B and presenting the image. The audience justify the image and hey presto, you have a piece of drama to work on