1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Warboy by Michael Foreman

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chociceg, Mar 26, 2012.

1. chociceg

chociceg New commenter

I am creating a scheme of work for Literacy based on 'Warboy' by Michael Foreman. It is an autobiography and I want to introduce this text type to Year 3/4. We will write in role as one of the characters and produce a biography or an autobiography. After this we usually finish with some story writing. As it is a story of his life, I was thinking about the author's childhood and wanted to explore the whole playing and imaginative aspects and create stories from this. He pretended the communal air raid shelter was part of a wild west plains and the people going there were the settlers ready to be invaded by him and his friends. Throughout the book is the theme of imaginative play and using what you have around you. The children in my school are very 'wrapped up in cotton wool' and don't leave their estate so this would be perfect to do! During WW2 obviously there were interesting things to see around and I was thinking of going on a bit of a mystery tour as we have the transport and funding and having a bit of an imaginative adventure. Can colleagues add ideas of their own to this? What interesting things could we go and visit which would be free to go in? Before anyone gets there I'm also thinking the pillboxes would be good and tie into the History on WW2 we will do. BTW it doesn't all have to be to do with WW2. Sorry for the long post.

2. chociceg

chociceg New commenter

3. What part of the world are you in?
    Take the children anywhere and get them to come up with ideas - sometimes a walk to the local park is exciting it is how you do it that will make a difference.
    Also how about just giving them old cardboard boxes, huge cardboard tubes, lots of material etc etc and get them to make their own camp on the school field or in the school garden.
    I was a child in the 50's and there was a lot of house building going on we loved playing in the unfinished houses running across the rafters before the floors were put in ( of course wouldn't be allowed today!). Also loved making dens from the washing line with old sheets and blankets.

4. chociceg

chociceg New commenter

Thanks for that! I really want them to realise that imaginative play is better than some of these awful computer games they talk about.