1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

War Poetry

Discussion in 'English' started by englishteach101, Dec 1, 2015.

1. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Hi, I'm starting a new topic with year 9 in January on War/Conflict poetry- what are your favourite poems to use? I've got a batch, but wanted some different ideas to keep things fresh.

Thanks in advance!
    S

2. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

War Photographer - Carol Ann Duffy

3. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

The Horses - Edwin Muir

HelenREMfan likes this.
  4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

This was my favourite of 20th Century poetry I did for O level..... loved it...... wonderfully visual poem and always relevant..... and of course involved horses ! Great choice @aspensquiver

5. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

War Photographer is a fave of mine. I also like to teach Suicide in the Trenches. Got some free resources on these that you can download if they take your fancy.

6. englishteach101

Lovely! Thanks for your pointers, it'll be nice to breathe a bit of new life with some recommendations.

@cate_h, will check your resources out now, thanks!

7. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Buy Christopher Marin's anthology 'War Poems' - the students' book. You can get it used for 1p from Amazon. I wouldn't be without it.

8. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

('New contributor' What!)

9. englishteach101

Lovely suggestion, I ordered this anthology last night and I'm looking forward to looking through it.

Thank you for all your help!

10. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

The outgoing GCSE has a great anthology on conflict with a good range of modern and traditional poems regarding conflict (obviously!), some specifically about warfare. It might be a good place to start as there are LOTS of resources for them, and only a few have been retained in the new specifications.

11. englishteach101

Which board? I've been given an old Edexel anthology which has some good poems so it might be the same one you're referring to.