1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

War poetry coursework titles?

Discussion in 'English' started by LuciaLeek, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Hey there,

I'm starting post 1914 poetry coursework with my yr 10s (middle group/set 3) and i've chosen to do war poetry. We do AQA Spec B so this piece needs to be comparative.

I'm curious about coursework titles. I was thinking of something along the lines of comparing Pope's 'Who's for the game?' and Owen's 'Dulce et decorum est'.
    Does anyone know of any other poems that could be compared in the same way? I'm particularly interested in the different points of view with regards to women at the home front and men at the battle front.
    Any suggesions would be greatly appreciated.

Lucia

2. Hey there,

I'm starting post 1914 poetry coursework with my yr 10s (middle group/set 3) and i've chosen to do war poetry. We do AQA Spec B so this piece needs to be comparative.

I'm curious about coursework titles. I was thinking of something along the lines of comparing Pope's 'Who's for the game?' and Owen's 'Dulce et decorum est'.
    Does anyone know of any other poems that could be compared in the same way? I'm particularly interested in the different points of view with regards to women at the home front and men at the battle front.
    Any suggesions would be greatly appreciated.

Lucia

3. Hi Lucia, I've got a C/D essay plan you can have. It's not v exciting, but was written by a very experienced teacher in my dept so I know it hits the right points. Post your email and I'll send it to you.

4. Hey, we do OCR but for the poetry coursework we compare the portayal of war in Owen's Dulce et decorum est and Shakespeare's Before Agincourt. It works well for comparison as they show opposite points of view. Hope this helps.

5. Aaah, I see...I've heard someone mention those wo before actually. I'll look it up.

Thank you

6. Dear Miri,

Sorry to interrupt...

Could I kindly ask for a copy of your Dulce/Who's for the Game essay plan? I'm doing Dulce with a class and I have read them some Pope snippets and opinion was very divided. Would make an interesting comparison!

mazwinkel@yahoo.com

Many thanks.

7. Sorry Miri,

I hadn't logged into my email account for a while. It's actually

lucia_leek@yahoo.co.uk

not .com

Maz, i'm not sure whether you wanted my essay plan or Miri's but i haven't actually got one sorted as of yet.
    I'm happy to pass it on when i have though

8. Hi Lucia! Any resources would be great. I'll send my essay plan for Dulce back as well.

Re. Dulce - I don't know if you've seen the film 'Regeneration' but Owen and Sassoon are in it talking about poetry. I might show my class some clips.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what my class have done with their homework projects. They are working in groups of 4 - 6 and had to produce 4 - 10 tableaux inspired by Dulce. They've gone to town - brought in costumes, toy soldiers, gas masks. One foggy morning we went out onto the playing field and were lining up shots of students hanging in trees, writhing faces etc. Some are making short movies using Movie Maker. Jessie Pope appears in one of them! Original music has also been composed. They really go for it! Get in touch if you would like to see the finished product!

We have to get a Standard Grade folio piece written on Dulce and I think at the moment my question is going to be something like 'What is Owen's view of war in Dulce and how does he convey this?' Something simple. Next year I would like to try comparing some Owen poetry with Jessie Pope or the Henry V excerpt or perhaps Carol Anne Duffy's 'War Photographer'.

I initially qualified as a history teacher and qualified to teach English on the job. I am finding the endless scope of literature possibilities in English both exhilarating and scary!!

Best wishes.

9. Maresa Brand

Maresa Brand New commenter

We also do Spec.B and use First World War and Crimean War? I've also read some excellent diaries of the trenches which satisfy the explore, analyse, imagine - personal writing task - so two assignments for the teaching of one!

10. Laura,
    I realize you posted this quite a while ago but I would be very grateful for any ideas and resources to support the essay title:
    'Compare the portayal of war in Owen's Dulce et decorum est and Shakespeare's Before Agincourt.'
    My email address is janrobinson56@yahoo.co.uk
    Thanks
    Jan Robinson