1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

war poem ideas for GCSE English controlled assessment-presenting conflict.

Discussion in 'English' started by leola, Nov 28, 2011.

1. leola

leola New commenter

Hi all,
    I have started preparation for the Yr 10 GCSE English controlled assessment 'explore the ways writers present conflict in texts you have studied', looking at war poetry comparisons. I am confused on a couple of issues though and would really appreciare any clarification.
    1- The spec says we need to teach 15 texts/poems- is this necessary?Are others teaching 15 too? I thought of teaching 5/6 poems altogether.
    2- the spec also says three pieces should be handed in for GCSE English (so we will also be doing an OMAM CA and the Romeo and Juliet CA), but also says there is 4 hours to complete them all? Is this right? Or is it 4 hours for each separate one- 1hr 20 seems so short for each individual piece if it is split?! Argh.
    3-Could anyone recommend some fantastic war poems to me? So far, I have taught 'dulce..', 'charge..' 'falling leaves' and suicide in the trenches' and am shortly to teach Jessies Pope's 'who's for the game?'. Can we teach modern war poems or WW2 poems?

Lots of questions...very confused!! Thanks in advance people.

2. There's one teeny piece of information missing from your post, without which, no one can give you a helpful answer: Which exam board are you following?

3. leola

leola New commenter

oops! It's AQA, Arthur. Thankyou in advance.

Leola

4. leola

leola New commenter

Oops! It's AQA, GCSE English, Arthur.
    Thanks, Leola

5. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Leola
    It is 4 hours for the three pieces, therefore your calculation of 1h 20m for each piece is correct.
    the national curriculum requirement for "a poetry text" is 15 poems, so students need to study 15 poems for this CA. However, they only need to write about a couple so "teaching" ie close study of 5/6 would be fine. Students could study the other 9/10 by reading them for homework, making their own notes on them, having a group discussion of 3/4 of them in class, preparing a presentation on a couple of them, which you could assess for S&L etc. Try letting them enjoy the freedom of doing what they like with the poems (within reason of course)[​IMG]

6. leola

leola New commenter

Christ-1 hour 20 mins seems like no time at all. That is scary :( Thankyou for your feedback-really appreciated :) Do you know by any chance the word limit they are allowed to reach in this 1hr 20 mns? :s