1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

War Horse: The Real Story

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Did anyone see this documentary on CH4 a while ago? I recorded it and just watched it back. It is very upsetting to hear what the horses went through and at the end of it up to 85,000 just got shot as they were seen as too battered by war.

2. Not much help, but no, I couldn't watch it. I have read about what happened to these horses, and it really doesn't bear thinking about. Being the owner of 2 shire crosses, I know how reliable and dedicated they are. And these are the very horses that would have been used during war time. My two would do anything I ask as they are so trusting.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I have it on Sky+ but cannot bring myself to watch. I too am a horse owner.

4. Have you seen the War Horse film Belle? I cried at the trailers, there's no way I could watch that film. Hope your horses are all well ? Mine have just been turned into their summer paddocks and are having a lovely time!

5. BelleDuJour

No. I was in two minds whether to go and see it, but it came out when I fractured my spine falling off a dobbin so couldn't go anyway. I'm confident I'd have gone rhrough an entire box of man sized kleenex!

6. I am the same...any animal in distress or putting up with dreadful conditions makes me feel so upset...and plays on my mind. I was in two minds about going to see the film War Horse, knowing how the animals suffered..(the men did too of course but that's well documented) but I did, and although some bits were sad, it had a surprisingly good ending...and a story with lots of twists and turns so you always wondered what would happen next. It was one of the best films I've seen recently.
    I'd recommend it, even to all you horsey people. My daughter is horse-mad and she wants to go and see the play..Getting tickets is another matter..

7. BelleDuJour

They are very well thanks Jezza and delighted to be rug free with the sunshine on their backs!

8. anteater

anteater New commenter

Film is ok - the play is just amazing though.

9. Agreed re the play won't see the film because of it, should probably read the book. I agree with you all don't watch it I am an animal person although not a horsey person and it upset me a lot.