1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting too much of my time...

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by anon261, Jan 26, 2011.

1. I took on one student who i was told was struggling in maths. Since then, mum has wanted a further hour literacy for this young man, plus 2 hours of literacy for her other son, plus a further 20 mins per week for the youngest. This is all great - except that i'm finding it all a little too much. I already had 3 tutoribg session per week - and wanted no more than 5. Thing is, they are the best paying customers and as they're not GCSE, they're also ongoing work. I don't want to turn her down because of the money, yet at the same time I have my own A level to do, which i'm now behind with. I'm worried that they are all too much for me and wish they'd been honest about how much tutoring they wanted in the first place -= if i'd have known i'd have said no. I don't want to let them down, but i'm bordering on letting myself down in the process. What should I do?! [​IMG] It's a right dilema!

Thanks

2. The comment has thus been removed! [​IMG]

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Are doing all this time in one session with the pupils or is it spread over several days? If it is spread, could you ask to combine some sessions so that you have more effective time to do your own work?

4. I do 2 hours on a wed eve and 2.5 hrs on Sat - but then i also have other tutees mon - fri. It wouldn't be so bad but the only way to fit them in was to give up my sat afternoon. I might look for another tutor to pass them on to.

5. I'm having the same issue. I accepted a request to tutor a Year 6 boy, and it has turned into the entire family of 4. £80 per week from the one family is far easier than £20 dotted around though, to be fair.

6. I completely agree. Unfortunately I don't enjoy tutoring this particular family. Last night I walked in to be told that 'tonight [​IMG] will do homework with the boys' - regardless that I had planned one hour session on maths and one on literacy - and then half way through one lesson, she swapped the boys around. To make matters worse, she insisited that I 'dictate what he will write'. I will not dictate to a child and I certainly do not like being told how to teach! Further more, she is currently having her kitchen decorated and told me to tutor in the bedroom - to which I point blank refused, and then said she hadn't got my money and she'll pay me next time.
    I obviously made my thoughts clear on all of the above and she agreed to let me use the living room to tutor and returned later with my money.
    She had also been talking to the child's class teacher who wrote down exactly how to teach from the EYFS literacy section - which I was also put off by, seen as I have my own 4 year old who I teach from the EYFS. - Regardless of that, I am a qualified teacher and know how and what to teach.
    Fuming!

7. hmm, that was supposed to read 'you' not [​IMG]!!!

8. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

They sound a bit of a nightmare so maybe you should shift them off to another person :)