1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to work in a supermarket

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cover list, Sep 28, 2017.

1. cover list

cover list New commenter

I keep reading "teachers would prefer to stack shelves in a supermarket". Is this true? How many of you have given up teaching for a job in a supermarket (or something else)? The reason I am asking is because I applied for a supermarket job (currently 0.4 teacher and lone parent to young child) and have discovered today that I have been invited to an interview. Now am feeling nervous and excited in equal measure. Any words of wisdom? Thanks x

2. exploration

exploration New commenter

As it happens I’ve just got a job in a supermarket working very early hours, but at a time which allows me to get another job during normal office hours. It’s doable and I’m actually quite looking forward to it, particularly as it requires no customer interaction haha. Hoping to supplement with a TA role for this year whilst I reevaluate. FYI I left having just completed my NQT year.

3. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Sorry, no. The most stressful job I ever had was working on the checkout of a supermarket; the building queue of impatient shoppers whilst I rotated goods looking for an illusive barcode. The regular failure of the card machine...

I'd rather teach a class of 30 stroppy teenagers!

PeterQuint, pepper5, rolysol and 7 others like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I worked for a major supermarket chain on the night shift a number of years ago.

It was a bit boring to be honest.

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Not me but my sister, who though not a teacher was working too hard and under too much pressure, switched a year or two back to being a shop floor / till person in a loca supermarket. She loves it and is way happier than before.

Good luck

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I worked in a shop years back (well a few truth be known) among other things, I got lots of useful experience over the 3-4 years I was there and was offered a management trainee job but didn't pursue that, it was poorly paid although discounts were good but there were long hours on your feet, then there were the shoplifters... but the manager dealt with them. I enjoyed it, made good friends but wanted to get increase my earning power.

I would do it again if I had to, if I had the energy and got the job.

7. install

install Star commenter

I did it years ago - loved it....but it was very different...

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Where on earth have you read this?
    And if you 'keep' reading it, are you reading the same article over and over, or a great many articles?
    I've not seen any.

PeterQuint, asnac, sabrinakat and 6 others like this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Maybe it's a really good article...

10. exploration

exploration New commenter

I’ve heard many, many teachers casually say that maybe they should quit and work in a supermarket so they could 'go home' after work. I realise this isn’t articles, but I’ve heard it an awful lot.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I gave up a career at Woolworths to go into education.

12. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I have heard it, but not to the same extent that teachers do it, it is a sort of metaphor re being able to leave the job behind you at the end of your shift.

13. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

http://www.verylittlehelps.com/

^ Have a read of this.

The only work environment that has come close to the bitchy, 'in bread' and back stabbing nature of working in schools in the UK was when I worked for a large, very well known UK supermarket (not TESCO).

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  14. Babana

Babana New commenter

I worked night shift in a supermarket two nights a week after having my second child and didn’t want to go back to teaching at that point. I stayed a number of years.

It was hard physical work. We were timed every night and the pressure was on to complete an area within that time. It got stressful at times. Thankfully I got to know each area so got quite quick. Some people couldn’t consistently meet the times and were gone, but easily replaced. Those who couldn’t cope were mainly young adults who wanted a bit of a skive job. It’s not like that, you have to work hard. However, the bunch of people I worked with were great. I haven’t laughed so much working anywhere. I don’t miss the job, but the people, yes.

Rivermill, needabreak and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I think there's often a case of "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence".
    Most teachers know that working in a supermarket is hard work with poor pay. However there are times when unco-operative children, nit picking management, incessant marking and preparation lead to teachers thinking "even that job's better". Mrs P has sometimes worked out her pay per hour worked and gets very fed up.
    Not many teachers actually seem to work in supermarkets

16. cover list

cover list New commenter

Nut had it somewhere - and have read it elsewhere too but can't remember where

17. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

I've just applied for a job at a supermarket as I need the money. I've enjoyed being a supply teacher but there's not enough work coming in.Hoping I can do some nights/weekends to supplement what I earn doing supply.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I don't think I'd be suited to working in a supermarket, at least not in the role evoked first of all to me in that sector, which is on the checkout. The reason is sitting down. Where's the scope for a Lee Evans moment, or less frenetically, the sense of momentum which prevents you getting sleepy after food?
    I would love the aspect of customer interaction though. I've worked in a few pubs at the bar and would do that again at the drop of a hat in preference to teaching if it were not for the need to commit to split shifts. And keep my greedy hands off the spirits.
    I always feel a bit disappointed at the notion of "so bad that they would even prefer to work in a supermarket" because it couches something implicitly undermining about working in a supermarket. It's portrayed as a bottom rung job, to emphasise that teaching now counts as bottom rung in terms of job satisfaction. Why that view of supermarket work? It's hard work, it's most definitely a valuable contribution to the lives of others, it's people based, it requires literacy and numeracy, you're part of a team, you have a corporate identity (if such pleases you), employment rights, and often opportunites for promotion/transfer/overtime.
    Look at what else is out there....hmmmmm.
    Supermarkets may be not for everyone-what job is? But it's a good job.

Good luck, OP. Let us know...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  19. fairypenny

fairypenny Occasional commenter

I work full time as a teacher. My husband works part time in a supermarket, but he wants to be a teacher. Working in a supermarket, in our opinion, is not preferable to teaching.

PeterQuint, pepper5, wanet and 3 others like this.
  20. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Really? I doubt that many teachers (educated professionals!) actually want to work in a supermarket... Dream of another profession where they are more valued and can also have a better work life balance, yes. In all the time I've been in education, I've not once heard anyone saying they want to work in a supermarket.