1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to teach PE in Dubai...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by L.East, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hi,

Im currently completing my NQT year in a secondary school, I teach PE, however am on a 1 year contract and due to cuts etc am looking for work in Sept 2011.

Ive got my heart set on Dubai, and have sent my CV to a few schools, however I have heard nothing back and was wondering if anyone could help me?

I see that many schools ask for 2 years experience, so am worried that is going to be a problem.

Does anyone already teach in Dubai? or have any contact of people I could chat to for more advice?

Thanks

2. Hi,

Im currently completing my NQT year in a secondary school, I teach PE, however am on a 1 year contract and due to cuts etc am looking for work in Sept 2011.

Ive got my heart set on Dubai, and have sent my CV to a few schools, however I have heard nothing back and was wondering if anyone could help me?

I see that many schools ask for 2 years experience, so am worried that is going to be a problem.

Does anyone already teach in Dubai? or have any contact of people I could chat to for more advice?

Thanks

3. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

My advice would be, ask if you can teach a little of an academic subject in your next school, I have heard Heads in dispair when they have advertised a Shower Checker post, they know they will have to sift through thousands of apps.

After 3 or 4 years experience teaching academic subjects, then you may be able to get a job as a teacher who can do a little PE on the side.

Another idea would be for you to marry a Physics teacher and go abroard as a couple.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

BB - what is a shower checker post?

5. stopwatch

You are right, most decent schools want AT LEAST 2 years experience. With the current UK situation, there are more UK people trying to get out and overseas schools can be even more picky.
    The PE scene in Dubai is fantastic in that is very well organised and teams perform to a very high level.
    You may also have to consider teaching Primary as another option as the level at which PE is taught and coached is also very high. Inter school sport is given a lot of priority in most Primary Schools.
    Sports? Rugby, football, netball, athletics and a biggie is swimming. In addition some basketball and girls football doesnt go amiss.
    If you want to work in a decent Primary school you will certainly have to earn your money but it is a great experience.
    The reason you won't have heard anything will probably be either be your lack of experience or the specific sports you are offering.
    Keep trying but be prepared to put in a large number of apps and even then maybe not succeed for another year or so.
    Alternatively apply to some of the 'less good' schools with a poorer package and conditions.

6. A 'shower checker' post, ie a PE teaching job. Not really funny when it was on the sites a couple of years ago (same poster?).
    Usually used by someone who thinks that they are quite clever, but can't spell abroad.
    You know the type..

7. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Or "despair"
    Or construct simple sentences using the correct grammar
    I do dispair at the standard of teachers abroard

8. Terrible isn't it? Should spend less time focusing on 'shower checkers' and more on 'spell checkers'.
    One can only despair of how the clever sort might spell definitely, accommodation and other favourites... [​IMG]
    'abroard'... that's funny [​IMG]

9. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

(S)he may be from the same place as they say "draw<u>r</u>ing"
    I can see this turning into a "Life of Brian" or (should that be "Bwian"?) thread
    I dont care; I'm a Woman centuwion in the Jewusalem Gawwison [​IMG]

10. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Oh Dear

Abroard was a typo, but despair was a real mistake.

The point I was trying to make was that competition for PE posts is high, there are many shower checkers chasing each shower.

Better to have a second string to your bow, like teaching a shortage subject or marrying somebody who teaches a shortage subject.

11. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

The most remarkable thing about bbibbler is not the typos or the mistakes or the naughty nickname for our tracksuited, jockstrapped, leotarded, tutued, tattooed, headbanded, kneepadded, scrumcapped, corseted, stockinged and suspendered colleagues...
    ...no, it's the number of posts. S/he's closing in on the 12,500 mark - unless the TES itself has made a mistake, which does not happen.
    I mean... I spend the whole working day on here, and when I have perforce to go to a ToK class or a Health and Safety committee, or a board meeting, my secretary has orders to pull me out at once if there's any activity on 'Teaching Overseas'.
    And I'm only just over the 600 line.
    The Dummy Despot is so addicted to this place, that he recently started some streetfighting which turned into an uprising, which escalated into a multi-national popular insurrection which destabilised an entire region, just so that he could have a few weeks off school and be with us 24/7.
    And yet, his 3,000th post is some way off yet.
    12,000 posts!
    That, as John Major said after a long bout with Edwina Currie, that is really good going.

12. stopwatch

Either you are continually plying your line about 'shower checkers' as some kind of misguided attempt at humour or.........? well I can't think of any other explanation.
    If it is supposed to raise the shackles of the so called shower checkers, you certainly are misguided and certainly missing the mark.
    It's just rather.... well......silly [​IMG]

13. stopwatch

BB 12,000 posts? GAL! and GOM!

14. And some of that is in English.
    It's getting sorted, slowly but surely..
    The Dummy Despot is so addicted to this place, that he recently started some streetfighting which turned into an uprising, which escalated into a multi-national popular insurrection which destabilised an entire region, just so that he could have a few weeks off school and be with us 24/7.
    And yet, his 3,000th post is some way off yet.
    Really, I wasn't counting. The break was good though.

15. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

My other username has about 15,000 posts.

In my defence, I did have a long term illness and was off work for more than a year.

16. Well, that killed that one dead, eh?
    L.East - OP (is that opening poster or original poster), I would say look beyond Dubai. There are loads of great places out there - have you been to Dubai? Stopwatch loves it there and I do not! It might not be your cup of tea but I guarantee you there will be other places out there that will be...
    And I would hang on a couple of years too; you will be a more valued commodity then.
    Oh, bibbler, you blubbing bubbler, what did you go and have to say that for? Too personal and you look like you're going for some sympathy vote. 'Jesus bloody Christ!'

17. stopwatch

I wouldn't say I love it here. I do think it is a very good place for certain types of people (ie young and carefree and families).
    It does have a lot going for it (clean, crime free, good infrastructure, decent cost of living - despite what people say, good night life, great for sports - both watching and participating, good base to travle from, generally excellent pay and conditions).
    There are a range of schools from the excellent to the 'not so excellent'.
    However, it is a bit soulless and in many ways quite bland. If you drink out, it is very expensive (about &pound;6.00 + for a drink).

18. stopwatch

[​IMG]

19. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Just upping this for Foamy.

If you do not understand, get a real teacher to read it for you.

20. Deal. [​IMG]
    But you must call a shrink. [​IMG]