1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Wanting to teach in USA from UK.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by PhoebeHorton, Nov 16, 2019.

  1. phoeborose

    phoeborose New commenter

    I am currently in my second year as a qualified primary school teacher in England. I completed a 4 Year MEd Primary Education degree and now have my QTS. During my training, I completed semester abroad teaching in South Carolina, USA. I loved the experience and have been determined to return since. I want to teach the elementary age range in the States for a temporary period (a year or two) ideally in a southern state. I would be moving by myself, hopefully for the 2020 school year.

    I understand that each state has its own requirements and that the visa process is difficult. However, I wondered if anyone had made this move and had any suggestions of a starting place? I've looked into companies that supposedly support teachers wanting to do this - is there anyone with recommendations of one to use? Or just any general advice moving from the UK to US as a teacher?

    Thank you in advance!
  2. RainbowWings

    RainbowWings New commenter

    If you want to teach in the US for a temporary period then an exchange programme is your best bet - if they exist.

    In order to be employed directly by a school district in the US your UK qualifications won't automatically be transferrable and you will have to obtain a teaching credential for the state in which you wish to work. This doesn't involve more studying, just lots of paperwork (and some cost) and you may have to take an additional Basic Skills Education test. Search for 'teaching credential whichever state you wish to work in.' This is the Californian one, as an example https://www.ctc.ca.gov/. It is certainly doable but it the visa which is tricky and which would be pretty impossible to get as an English speaker, as your employer would have to prove that they couldn't employ a US citizen/resident to fill the role.

    I am not sure how the companies you mentioned would help - unless it is with obtaining a US credential.

    International schools may help you obtain a J1 visa which is the Exchange Visitor Visa, which allows you to teach. As mentioned on previous threads, accommodation can be expensive in areas where such schools are located.

    Having said this I have seen some job ads for US state schools on UK websites who would surely help with visa. It is highly possible these might be in areas where they are finding it difficult to recruit so research carefully.
    phoeborose likes this.
  3. riapalmer89

    riapalmer89 New commenter

    Hi - I am in a similar situation and currently using Greenheart Exchange to apply to teach for the 2020 school year. They have been pretty good so far but the process isn't complete just yet. I think jobs begin to come out now so hopefully will start to hear of some potential school!
  4. phoeborose

    phoeborose New commenter

    I did look at Greenheart and I'm glad to hear it's going well for you! I'm currently in a process with Participate Learning so have my fingers crossed for that! Do you know which states Greenheart can place you in?
  5. NikNak01

    NikNak01 New commenter

    I did this a couple of years ago. I went with EPI. They place teachers in North Carolina, South Carolina and Miami. Hope this helps.
  6. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    Apply to the NA schools. They're looking for teachers all the time because they can't employ them legally for more than 2 years. And you will at least get 'some' international benefits (flights, settling in allowance)
  7. dave12hughes

    dave12hughes New commenter

    I'm currently in North Carolina on a J1 visa (up to 5 years). There's a couple of organisations - I'd recommend the Global one.
    grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  8. grdwdgrrrl

    grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

    What if they are married to and American citizen?
  9. NikNak01

    NikNak01 New commenter

    Nord Anglia schools in the USA use the E2 visa, which is for 5 years and I think it can be renewed.
  10. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    Ah, I'm sure I read they'd switched to a different 'j' visa somewhere in their literature. Maybe I'm wrong.

    Either way, they definitely have a lot of jobs. My subject is advertised pretty much every year.
  11. NikNak01

    NikNak01 New commenter

    I was told that at interview, they may have changed. That was last year. They always have jobs in my subject too.
  12. loranp

    loranp New commenter

    I had an E2 visa with NA. It was valid for 5 years and was renewed once, but I believe it can be renewed more than once. They may have changed to J-visas though; the E2 visa was a legacy from when the schools were owned by WCL.

Share This Page