1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to teach Film Studies Alevel/GCSE through PGCE English

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Seekerteach, Jan 30, 2011.

1. <font size="2">Hi, I am interested in teaching Film Studies at A level/GCSE and I am deciding which course to take for PGCE. I am applying for a PGCE English at local universities. </font><font size="2">I realize that there are some PGCE Media studies around the country, but I have thought about the costs of living and the employment prospects that might not be as good as with PGCE English. I have also considered the Post compulsory courses, but again I am thinking of job prospects after that.</font><font size="2">I am unsure how most teachers become film studies teachers and especially as these jobs are rare.</font><font size="2">Are there any teacher out there who have Pgce English and are now teaching Film Studies, how do you do it? I would also welcome any advice from Film Studies teachers who got there in a different way.</font>

2. <font size="2">Hi, I am interested in teaching Film Studies at A level/GCSE and I am deciding which course to take for PGCE. I am applying for a PGCE English at local universities. </font><font size="2">I realize that there are some PGCE Media studies around the country, but I have thought about the costs of living and the employment prospects that might not be as good as with PGCE English. I have also considered the Post compulsory courses, but again I am thinking of job prospects after that.</font><font size="2">I am unsure how most teachers become film studies teachers and especially as these jobs are rare.</font><font size="2">Are there any teacher out there who have Pgce English and are now teaching Film Studies, how do you do it? I would also welcome any advice from Film Studies teachers who got there in a different way.</font>

3. Hi Seekerteacher,
    I teach A level Film Studies and I love it, I worked in industry for several years and re-trained as a teacher as a second career. I found a PGCE course which incorporated English with Media & Drama, having said that I have yet to come across any PGCE courses which specifically includes film teaching,
    Having a good grounding in English Literature is definately a good starting point to teach Film Studies, particularly when considering narrative, genre, characterisation & thematic issues. However an understanding of Media will help you with the business and production side of the industry as this is also part of A level teaching spec.
    My first teaching job was even split between Media and English, but many English teachers do become Media teachers as their careers progress. Personally I think be flexible, consider a PGCE that offers both English and Media and then all bases are covered.
    It's a very rare teaching job that just offers Film Studies, it usually does come with the expectation that you are able to teach Media as well.
    Good luck

4. Hi. I did pgce Eng and now teach Eng, Film and GCSE. I launched the media and film courses two years after qualifying.