1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to teach film studies Alevel/Gcse through PGCE English

Discussion in 'English' started by Seekerteach, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi, I am interested in teaching Film Studies at A level/GCSE and I am deciding which course to take for PGCE. I am applying for a PGCE English at local universities.
    I realize that there are some PGCE Media studies around the country, but I have thought about the costs of living and the employment prospects that might not be as good as with PGCE English. I have also considered the Post compulsory courses, but again I am thinking of job prospects after that.
    I am unsure how most teachers become film studies teachers and especially as these jobs are rare. I thought that most begin as English teachers and create the course within the same school/college?
    Are there any teachers out there who have Pgce English and are now teaching Film Studies, how do you do it? I would also welcome any advice from Film Studies teachers who got there in a different way.

2. Hi, I am interested in teaching Film Studies at A level/GCSE and I am deciding which course to take for PGCE. I am applying for a PGCE English at local universities.
    I realize that there are some PGCE Media studies around the country, but I have thought about the costs of living and the employment prospects that might not be as good as with PGCE English. I have also considered the Post compulsory courses, but again I am thinking of job prospects after that.
    I am unsure how most teachers become film studies teachers and especially as these jobs are rare. I thought that most begin as English teachers and create the course within the same school/college?
    Are there any teachers out there who have Pgce English and are now teaching Film Studies, how do you do it? I would also welcome any advice from Film Studies teachers who got there in a different way.

3. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

Hi there

I did English PGCE expecting, to be honest, at the time, that I would be teaching English only. The reality was that I had A level Media Studies on my timetable on my placement and my first job I inherited a Yr 11 class entered for English and Media.

Since then, around a third of my timetable has become Media Studies. We have done well in this school and lots of kids choose it as a stand alone option now.

Also, I am going to teach Film Studies (for the first time) from September, '11 to an early entry class.
    I think my point is that I trained as an English teacher and that gave me a way into other interests. The school are happy that I am able to offer other ideas and I enjoy Media too.

Also, I think for sometime, at least when I first started, there was an assumption (because one of the English coursework pieces was known as their 'media piece') that we English teachers can just do the job. I personally think that I did not offer those students I first taught media 6 years or so ago the best deal; I did my best but lacked any real understanding. All I can say is I was enthusiastic!
    As far as your choices for job hunting goes, English teachers always seem to be needed. This might be your best option. Perhaps you could ask for some Media?film experience at your placement school? Will look good on your CV either way.

Hope this helps; I do tend to ramble on!

Liz