1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to set up a singing group

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Milkandchalk, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Has anyone ever done this? A few friends and myself are thinking about doing this, having a wide ranging repertoire and singing at functions/events etc. I'd be grateful to hear any experiences/advice that anyone might have.

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

No advice, but I like your new avatar! You always make a good choice...

3. Great idea!
    My advice would be, don't run it like a committee at this stage - someone must take charge and be a bit autocratic. Things like organising when and where to rehearse, insisting people fit in with the schedule. Otherwise, it'll never take off.
    Also, select easy songs first.
    Do you have an accompanist? A decent piano player would be my first choice.

4. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I set up a female voice choir if that helps?
    It drove me insane!!!! But I was young and made many mistakes, and if you are doing it with a groups of friends it will be different. However the two biggest problems I had were:
    Problem 1
    Started off well, But they always had other things on - bowls looking after children, photo club swimming club all of which seemed to clash with choir regularly, so at any given time I would be down to half numbers.
    Now I would: Just accept that we will be lower on numbers than I would like, planning performances around this accordingly, and not continue to hope for a sudden resurge of dedication/growth of numbers.
    Problem 2
    I ended up doing everything. Organising concerts, photocpyig music, ordering music, carting the equipment about, applying for funding etc etc
    Now I would: Make sure that I had the relevant posts filled on the committee. Secretary, concert secretary, librarian, and official point of contact for members ad the public. For members so that they can ring if not attending so you dont end up wasting your time and the time of the three people that can make that rehearsal, and so that you have a number for the public to ring to book you obviously.

As I said, If it is a group of friends these things aren't so important.
    But re: performances etc, if you are going to be using equipment such as speakers etc look into some public liability insurance just so you know you are covered for all that side of things.If you join the Musicians union, you get legal liability of 10 million pounds, and insurance of up to 2000 pounds. Look under the bene
    http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/join-the-mu/benefits/
    Alan Simmons does some really different funky music, as well as more traditional stuff, and I have always found them to be reliable and to have good service.
    http://www.alansimmonsmusic.com/
    On the upside, we had amazing social times, and in the end were a bunch of fairly good frieds rather than aquaintances, and had lovely meals out in local pubs etc.Was worth it, but be careful that one membr of your group doesnt take on too much.
    Don't know what sort of info you are looking for really, but hope this help :) Anything else you need to know, I'll help if I can :)

5. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Perfect advice thanks. Lots to think about then it seems. I've still to get people on board though....