1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to Return to the UK to teach.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bessecar, Oct 29, 2015.

1. bessecar

bessecar New commenter

I am a 59 year old teacher with 30 years experience in teaching, 28 years of which have been teaching O level English Language and Literature to Class VIII to XI Pakistani students in a private school. I have married here in Pakistan to a local who is a Headmistress of the Pre Primary section in the same school.

Since I cannot get citizenship status here in Pakistan, I want to move back to Britain with my wife. I graduated with a B.Ed in 1980. What are my chances of getting a job? Do I have to retrain? Is my age a possible barrier?

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I believe you will be treated as an overseas teacher. To work in a LA maintained school in England you will need to gain QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) via the QTS skills tests. You may well find that a free school or academy will employ you as an unqualified teacher as they are not bound by the same rules as local authority maintained schools in England. Different rules apply in Scotland.

For more information you could look on the 'Overseas Trained Teachers' forum.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

B.Ed in 1980? From a UK University? Then you probably have QTS or at the very least a Teacher Number.

Try asking here with very precise details of your qualification.

qts.enquiries@education.gsi.gov.uk

Best wishes

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Your biggest problem, to be honest, is lack of recent knowledge and experience of UK schools. They have changed beyond recognition since you were last here - and frankly, you'd be shocked at the difference in behaviour and attitudes of many children.

You'd need to think about how you can persuade a headteacher not to immediately put your application in the bin when s/he sees that you haven't set foot in a UK school for 28 years. As a former secondary head - I can't think of a reason why I'd consider you if there were at least several candidates with up-to-date experience and knowledge.

5. bessecar

bessecar New commenter

Thank you, snowyhead, TheoGriff and Middlemarch. You are pretty much voicing the concerns I've had running around my brain.

Yes, my B.Ed was from Bulmershe College in Reading - now merged with Reading University. I'll try the link you've given. Thanks.

I'd be interested to know what changes in behaviour and attitudes of the children there have been to compare with what is going on, and has been going on, here in Karachi. Children here used to be more bound by the cultural norms and the religion; that,however has changed a lot with the growth of the widespread availability of mobiles, and the use of social networks, especially Facebook.

Your words about jobseeking, Middlemarch, are a real shot in the arm of reality. A wake up call - I'll be thinking really hard about what to do next. Thanks for the "shoot from the hip" advice!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Do you read the UK press? That would give you an idea of what is going on in schools here.

And you might like to read this too . . .

Teachers from abroad looking for jobs in England

This will show you what is required now.

Best wishes

7. bessecar

bessecar New commenter

Thank you, again, TheoGriff. Your article is very clear.

The Observed Lesson Plan Template is for 5 - 7 and 7 - 11. Is this adapted for higher levels or is there another template for senior classes? I teach 15 - 16 year-olds, and have taught, during my stay here, from Class VI - Class XI. (11 - 16)

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It is not an official template. You can use any template that you like.

But obviously you would be advised to use one that corresponded to Ofsted requirements.

You could try looking in the TES Resources for a different lesson plan template that is Ofsted based.

You are unlikely to be able to teach just years 10 and 11. Years 7 -13 or 7-11 would be the norm here. Most schools are yrs 7-13. Lack of experience with 12-13 could be a problem in those schools but not in the others obviously.

Best wishes

9. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some people who have lived here all their lives can't find those, yet alone somebody who has been abroad for nearly three decades, @snowyhead !

Best wishes

11. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

:D

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Does anyone know where I put my car keys?

13. bessecar

bessecar New commenter

Thanks again,snowyhead and TheoGriff.

14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

There is also the issue of returning to the UK with a non-Uk or non-EU spouse. According to the UK Home Office, YOU need to have a salary of over 22k before they will 'allow' your spouse to come to the UK with you.Please take a look at the most recent information on the www.gov.UK site.

At the moment, I am battling the Home Office myself as the non-EU spouse of an Irish national who has the right under European law to remain without a visa and even my local MP tried four (4) times to get a straight answer! Whilst not relevant per se to your query, it is nevertheless a warning that the Home Office may not be as accommodating to your non-UK spouse as was the situation even 10 years ago, so it is something to do further research on and get the appropriate legal advice. So, one more thing to think about as you consider returning to the UK!

15. bessecar

bessecar New commenter

Thank you sabrinakat. Your advice is practical and down-to-earth, as needed at the moment. And very helpful.

I've been looking up the requirements: proof of £65000 in savings,or I have to go to the UK and get a job for six months which pays a salary of more than £18600 a month to get my wife back with me there. There is something also called the "Surinder Singh" route. Given the advice I am getting here, if it is true, the job option is very tenuous at best. And the savings amount is way beyond my reach ... over 10,000,000 rupees.

Yet it seems I have broken the “law” by marrying a Pakistani and cannot get citizenship to stay.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think this figure must be incorrect. ..

But getting a job at all back here will be difficult if not impossible while you are in Pakistan.

I'm sorry if we cannot wave a magic wand and solve all these problems.

Good luck

17. bessecar

bessecar New commenter

Sorry, you're right, TheoGriff. The £18,600 is a yearly not monthly salary.