1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to return full time

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by baileyblade, May 19, 2016.

1. baileyblade

baileyblade New commenter

I reduced my hours several years ago after having my first child. However I now feel ready to return full time. I spoke with our head teacher today (he's the 3rd head we've had since I started) and asked if any full time positions arise if I could be considered. He said when one does, they'd advertise but I'd be welcome to apply. It seems ridiculous as I went through the whole application process to teach at our school 8 years ago. Just wondering, is this usual practice?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it is certainly true that you have no right to return automatically on request to FT working once you have gone to PT.

I state that in my advice article with the letter about requesting a PT post:

N.B. you should note that if granted, your contract will change PERMANENTLY to a part-time one, and you will not have an automatic right to a full-time post in the future, you’ll have to apply with other candidates.

So what your Head has said is correct.

However, it is legally possible to appoint somebody without advertising, although this is not good practice, and in fact may not be consistent with local rules by the Academy chain or Local Authority, or the Governors' requirements. Or indeed, the Head's wishes to ensure fair appointment procedures and the selection of the most appropriate candidate for a vacancy.

Not the answer that you wanted to hear, and I'm sorry about that.

Best wishes

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You might ask your head whether he will advertise any full-time posts as "full or part-time". After all, if you apply and get it, they'll presumably then need to replace you. If they get a mix of applicants, they can weigh up the merits of "baileyblade full-time and an excellent part-time applicant" and "baileyblade part-time and possibly not so good full-time applicant".