1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to make the right decision

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by rex, Oct 13, 2015.

1. rex

rex New commenter

I am in a supply contract til the end of this term. I applied for the long term post but didn't get it and the person that has been offered the post is available to start now. I am finding it hard to motivate myself now but want to make the best decision for me and not have the school make it for me.
    Any suggestions?

2. sirspamalotless

sirspamalotless Occasional commenter

I don't understand your question. You are supply on a supply contract. So do your job and then leave at the end of the contract. If your contract has a notice period and you can afford to, and you can't stand it, give them notice and go. Supply is temporary so what are you expecting?

3. cat2611

cat2611 Occasional commenter

I think it's up to you as with supply you can probably leave now but you might want to stay because you enjoy working with your colleagues or you have some nice children. Is the new person starting in November or January? I'd probably stay if you have less than 2 weeks to do anyway but if the new person isn't starting until January perhaps you can explain that as the new person is available immediately you are willing to step aside so that he or she can start in November?

Please try not to blame yourself as the head might have already promised the job to the new person, the head might have a different agenda that meant that the new person needed to come or perhaps the school just wasn't the right place for you. I know it sounds cheesy but everything happens for a reason and after some time has passed you will thank your lucky stars that you didn't get the job.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The disadvantage of doing that, of course, is (a) unemployment, instead of getting paid until 31 December, and (b) being unemployed when applying for other posts from January onwards . . .

Always better to apply as an employed person.

So think hard before giving your notice now.

Best wishes

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If the person who has the post is available to start now you may find the decision is out of your hands.

All I will say is do your best in this job until you leave.

6. rex

rex New commenter

The head met me on Friday and told me that I would be here this week and one week after h/t to do handover. However after a chat with my line manager I was told to ask what the agency had agreed. I am on a supply contract so I can technically be fired at a moment's notice. This has happened to me and to other supply teachers I know before. My line manager told me to see the job as money and to see it out.
    Thanks for the replies and advice.