1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to leave Ireland

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by patcurran, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hi all.
    Just looking for a bit of advice. I have a full time, permanent job in rural Ireland. The country is falling down around us and opportunities for my children look bleak for the future. I also live in a pretty isolated part of Ireland but its where I'm from and I'm lucky enough to be working in the community that I and my wife grew up in. I've been looking at jobs on this site for the past few months. I'm 33 and my wife is 29 and we have two boys under 5 so if we are to make a move its really now or never. I feel that I have a good enough CV plus a football coaching qualification to get me a job in Europe (preferably France). But I'd like to hear from people who've done it, up and left bag and baggage. Would I be mad to leave a permanent job? My wife also has a permanent job but not in education. Is moving all its cracked up to be. Also does anyone know a website for jobs in France?
    Thanks,
    Pat.

2. Take a career break. That gives you five years to see how things go. This is what I did many years ago. To be honest you will find it a bit harder to nail down jobs in 'top tier' schools as they tend to prefer UK qualified, particularly in Europe. Also I feel that the salary in Europe will not match what you are currently receiving. A non teaching spouse could cause difficulties as some of the forums here will verify . Have you considered the Middle East (Kuwait, Abu Dhabi)? In answer to your question, I think you should not give up on the permanent job under any circumstances as you never know when issues such as illness, homesickness or similar may raise their heads. Tread carefully but seek advice from some of the wise heads on these forums.

3. Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. What difficulties would arise with the non teaching spouse? And no I would not consider the Middle East. I've spent time there in the past and its not for me. Thanks again.

4. 25K Sterling a year isn't bad, considering it is tax free, accommodation free and utilities free. Also, cost of living is good compared to UK. Car hire is cheap, petrol is cheap. You been back to the UK recently. On that 25K you can easily save 10K a year. Going to do that in UK or Ireland, or Europe?

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, FeelgoodWilko, I have never actually taught in Oman, so maybe I do not know very much about salaries in international schools in Muscat or wherever. However, I have been to Oman five times and I have had colleagues who have taught there. They all say that the cost of living is a tad higher than in some Gulf countries and that salaries at some Omani schools are significantly lower. No doubt the school named after the ruler and the school with the union jack pay fairly well, but the others are more than a little bit stingy. That is what I have heard, for what it is worth.

6. Hi Pat, Havent got much advice about your situation generally, but as someone that teaches at an International School in France just a heads up about teaching here. As there are very few international schools here in France it is very difficult to find work. Maybe you could think about Spain if you are determined to stay in Europe, plenty of schools there, albeit of varying quality. I am very happy that I moved abroad and love it here, however I left in 2006 when the economic climate was somewhat different. Good luck.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear Pat,
    Did you get my e-mail?
    The only international teaching I have done in Europe was my two-year stint in Romania. Well, it was very different to the Middle East and Kenya. The bad news was that we did not save any cash, although there were some compensations. Bucharest does have some charms and Sibiu has to be one of my favourite cities. Romanian wine is good. Romanian girls are also very attractive!
    The Hippo

8. Thanks Simondemontfort,
    Yes I would consider Spain but would absolutely love to bring my family to France. I've been going there since I was a child and probably love it more than Ireland. I think every International school in France has my CV at this stage. I almost applied for a PE job in a British school in the suburbs of Paris a couple of weeks ago but with extensive research, I could not see how my family and I could afford to live in Paris. I speak French quite well but my subjects are PE and geography so don't know if just a "good" level of French would be sufficient to get me a job in a French school. Do you know of any websites or organisations with listings of vacancies for French schools? Am I being naive thinking I could teach in a French school without a qualification in French?
    Thanks,
    Pat.

9. esl

esl

If I were you I would wait until next year, apply for a career break, and apply though one of the IntInternational recruiting agencies - I used CIS but there are also Search associates and ISS - the most convenient job fairs for you would be in London in January.
    The career break gives you the opportunity to come back after a year if you hate it. It is a security blanket, just in case. If all work out well, you don't have to come back.
    Look for schools that have preschools and that ofer free education for your children. Schools in Europe don't tend to pay as well as in other parts of the world - (I know that is a huge generalisation) but there are some that pay well. Be aware of costs of living too - Switzerland has some well paying schools but is expensive to live in. Some schools in Madrid pay well but do your homework.
    Does your wife work in a field where she could work abroad, or perhaps do some work online from wherever you end up? I know somebody whose spouse has been able to take her job with her when they moved - she does all her work online so she can do it anywhewre.

10. Hi Pat

If you are thinking about working in French state schools then unfortunately you would not be qualified. They are very fussy here about who gets to work in their state schools and you need the CAPES which would requite total fluency. Maybe one day they will accept other countries teaching qualifications but dont hold your breath, there would be at least five strikes over the issue! As such if you really want to work in France, you would have to look at international schools. I would say have a look at my school but as I am the geography teacher, I have to say I am not planning on going anywhere! Let me know if you want any other info.