1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

wanting to leave at christmas

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by aubinwales, Dec 11, 2009.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Don't get me wrong, I don't on the whole feel that doing a runner, in most instances is acceptable. However:
    Stress in the extreme is a debilitating illness, particularly when it leads to chronic depression. Would you rather someone just take 3 months off with stress (or on and off, weeks at a time) - do you see that as a more honourable alternative?
    Are you saying that if you are a professional, you shouldn't suffer from the above? What would your personal professional integrity do if you were debilitated by stress related depression which resulted in you being unable to teach? would you sit out your period of notice at home, then fly out? what would be the point of that?
    (I dont think the OP is in this extreme, and I dont think we are going to find out).

2. SallyAber

SallyAber New commenter

I think SMT dude sounds like a bitter novel writer who never made it.

Cutting through all the lovely descriptive writing, SMT is ranting at someone who for whatever reason is not happy at their place of work. The purpose of this forum is to help others, not to judge and take this forum as an opportunity to rant and ultimately throw shots at someone for wanting a bit of advice.

SMT dude I am 26 and in my second year of teaching and I have to say I am disappointed and suprised to see someone respond in this manner. I am posting this as I am also looking for advice on handing in my notice, and unfortunatly this is the post that I read.

I do not wish to read a piece of descriptive writing laced with vitriol as a response. If that's the way you deal with people then I'm not suprised that people handing in their notice is a seemingly contentious issue for you.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

What is so difficult about it? Write the letter and hand it in to your head.

What you are actually saying is "can someone tell me everything will be ok?". Well, the truth of the matter is that only you can truly know what the right thing to do is. On this forum we give advice from multiple perspectives. Sometimes that advice is taken well and, sometimes, people get into a huff. If you wish for advice, then sometimes the advice is brutal. Sometimes teachers and schools are pretty horrid and only the individual concerned will have any real idea (one hopes) of the truth. Many a time, resigning is not the right move and will definitely blight your career in the short term (and possibly in the medium term as well). Sometimes you have no choice and you have to leave whatever the consequences.

Grow up. You read something that you did not agree with. I am sure it is not the first time in your life this has happened.

4. Being told to grow up? It might be...

5. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

All this for a thread that's nearly four years old...

6. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Hi SMT Dude

Full agreement, especially concerning the Rugby, but as an old front rower, my teeth were usually nuzzling the ears of the opposition prop or hooker. Vamos Hurling! Vamos Argentina!

Mike McDonald

7. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Most schools can find a replacement within a couple of weeks using an agent.

Working is not the be all and end all of life and people are allowed to make decisions about their future.

Contracts exist to give a level of protection to both sides.

In my time, though it is rare, I have worked alongside people who have a different attitude to what professional means and really don't get the job and what it entails at all: no planning, no effort, no rapport with kids, hungover in the classroom. Such people are extremely selfish and have no concept of honour.

Is it easy to discuss matters with a line manager? No not really. It takes a while to build an understanding and if you had that support it would be unlikely you'd be unhappy in the fiorst place, though persoanal issues over and above the norm do arise of course.

I handed my notice in one week after joining a school once, as my contract allowed. Complete shambles of a place with the head bitching, staff in revolt and the trainee teacher falling apart without support. You offer short term contracts then people have short term options.

Also seen it from the other side with a school letting me go a few days after I'd signed a contract as they couldn't afford me given their lower roll numbers. They broke the contract terms but what can you do. Move on as quicly as you can.

8. SallyAber

SallyAber New commenter

Karvol - your decison to respond to my message in a negative way simply illustrated my point that there is a way of speaking to people, and members can make points without their messages sounding ultimately passive aggressive and condescending. Thanks for taking the time to explain to me that there are varying perspectives on a forum - stating the obvious, who would have thought! Again, my only point being that members should be supportive of each other on forums. And Karvol - telling me to grow up!? I disagree with the tone used Karvol, not the points made. 'I am sure it is not the first time in your life this has happened.' - who needs to grow up here...? Comments are meant to be constructive. I don't check my messages on TES very often at all, but I look forward to remembering to check in another few years to read your laughable response.

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Not often that people consider their replies for over four years before posting.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  10. SallyAber

SallyAber New commenter

Theres this thing called, BETTER THINGS TO DO than argue with people on the internet - You should try it some time.

11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

What were you doing for 4 years that was so good????;)

12. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

13. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Contracts are two way affairs and teachers often give up a lot financially to move, as do schools. If a school doesn't honour their contract then it is okay to leave as long as a genuine attempt has been made to resolve problems through talking and time allowed for it to happen. It is a job contract not a prison sentence.

More often than not in my experience, a new or third rate school is usually at fault, having made a whole range of promises it had no intention of keeping or it knew it could never keep, just to get the staff it needed. It would not be a viable business if it told the truth, but it needs the staff to be in business!

The best time to go and to tell them you won't be back and why is the day after you got paid and have left the country.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  14. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

It took @SallyAber 4 years to answer the last post @binaryhex, i would hold your breath for a response ;);););)

lottee1000 likes this.
  15. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I too find it strange when people ask “what will happen if...?”, and then get testy when the answer is anything other than “unicorns will descend from the heavens to offer you emotional, moral and financial support for your unquestionably excellent maneuver”.
    Sometimes we support each other by telling the truth.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  16. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

17. SallyAber

SallyAber New commenter

Well @dumbbells66 bells66, not being pedantic was one of the things I was doing, not reasoning with individuals who are more experienced with arguing over the internet because they have nothing better to do than contradict a reasonable point - to be kind.

@gulfgolf - it seems you are more interested in defending the stance that using a kind tone with the member at the source of this thread was an unreasonable request. Apparently it is more intellectual/professional to start contradicting a member who rarely checks messages on this forum because I use TES for resources, job browsing - none of which I should have to justify. Also dwelling on the date of the response - again, I did not expect people to disagree with being kind and I rarely need to refer to forums. I am sure there will be some thrilling responses to my response, about my response, contradicting my response and I would love to respond to your response but I have better things to do than respond to your response as I doubt it will constitute a response.
    I am making light of this stupidity but please feel free to argue amongst yourselves that someone suggesting kindness must as a direct consequence also being telling people to not tell the truth. I have told many people the truth in a variety of professional circumstances, and at no point did I feel the need to do it in a condescending manner. Please save yourselves the trouble of writing replies I will never read, or alternatively continue the thread convincing yourselves that being truthful in a passive aggressive manner is professional - I won't be reading that nonsense either.

-agree with @binaryhex comments completely.

18. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter