1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to change exam board but am being over-ruled?!

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by ThereAreBunniesInMyHead, Apr 29, 2013.

1. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

For my subject, there are only two exam boards for A-level, AQA and OCR. And they are virtually identical in make up and topics eg one exam unit and one coursework unit in each of the A-level years. For my subject there is no "easier" exam board in my opinion as they are both challenging. It is just that with AQA there are logistical differences such as forcing students to work independently all the way through the coursework units as opposed to OCR which encourages some group work which I think would be beneficial for the less able students. There are also differences in the way the coursework is produced and the way work is submitted which would be easier for my school with the facilities we have. I think it depends on your subject as to which one is better for the teachers / students and I have taught with both now so I think I have a pretty good idea that OCR would be better for us. I will keep plugging away and see what they say but I can't believe they can veto it if there are no real "cons" to the dept apart from keeping a new teacher happy even if it means alienating me the HOD.

2. The answer is simple. Sweetly say that you will not take the blame if results are poor (because the decision was against your professional judgement as HoD) and write change exam board to OCR as a recommendation in your course review/course development plan next year

3. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Ultimately, I agree that the Headteacher could impose a choice of exam board on all subjects, but I doubt this would ever be sensible...if they trust experienced professionals so little that they want to dictate their specifications, there are some far bigger issues in the school than choice of course.
    In my time running A-Level courses (6 as lead teacher and now 6 as Head of Department) I have never been over-ruled by SLT as to my choice of spec, at A-Level or GCSE. Similarly, I have never told leaders of other subjects in my Department which specs to choose...although I will admit to telling subjects that choose OCR that they are CRAZY!!!
    Mark