1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to build up to a head teacher

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by anthonybiggs, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi All,

Sorry its not that much a relavent post to you all but this would help me loads!

As a trainee i am always looking for ways to develop as a professional. Ideally i want to work my way up the leadership scale eventually to a head.

What courses would you recommend? Also as head teachers what do you look for in NQT's and also when hiring a head of department.

Many thanks
    Anthony

2. Hi All,

Sorry its not that much a relavent post to you all but this would help me loads!

As a trainee i am always looking for ways to develop as a professional. Ideally i want to work my way up the leadership scale eventually to a head.

What courses would you recommend? Also as head teachers what do you look for in NQT's and also when hiring a head of department.

Many thanks
    Anthony

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Accurate spelling and punctuation. . .

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

What Theo said. You need to ensure that you check carefully whatever you write as your spelling and punctuation are rather suspect. Before anyone charges in with 'It's mean to criticise how people write in their spare time/on a forum/etc', my point is that anyone who doesn't naturally write with good 'spag' needs to develop strategies which include always checking for accuracy, otherwise they may well be professionally embarrassed.
    However, you're not even qualified yet - what we look for first of all is someone who understands that the first of many steps along the way to headship is accepting that you must hone your craft in the classroom first, learn from those around you by watching, asking questions, looking at their work - and take a few years over this. There's no race and no prizes for dashing before you can crawl.
    We look also for someone who understands that courses don't make you a better teacher or leader - some of them on the route to leadership are mandatory or as good as, but honestly - you don't learn your craft from courses, you learn by doing and observing others.
    As far as a HOD goes - and remember what I said about learning your craft in the classroom first - because what we principally look for in a HOD is an outstanding classroom practitioner who knows additionally how to help those around him/her become outstanding - what we want most of all is someone who can support all staff in their dept to help children make excellent progress.
    I took 15 years to get my first secondary headship and frankly, it wasn't enough for the challenges that heads face today. Ignore all this pushing of teachers to move upwards all the time - you take your time and be excellent at every step.