1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to build a new community for teachers and ex-teachers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Matt.H, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt.H

Matt.H New commenter

Apologies if this is not allowed here -

Recently I've gone through a rough time with work and stuff which has severely affected my mental health. I'm not hiding from it nor am I ashamed of it. It happens.

What's more important is what we do with it.

I want to build a community that can support people, starting with teachers or ex-teachers. I was wondering if anyone on here would be willing to (privately) share stories of mental health issues either in the profession or reasons for leaving with me and what your road to recovery and outcomes looked like. I know for some this is hard, but not only have I found it therapeutic but also feel that it may be able to help others.

Please get in touch if you want to help.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I for one would not wish to share my experiences in this area without a lot more persuasion as to why and to whom.
    You are a brand new first-time poster, We know nothing of you and for all, I am concerned you could be innocent in your request or be seeking information for other purposes.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  3. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

There you go, you've got one person who's suffering from paranoia! (only joking @oldsomeman)

lindenlea likes this.
  4. oldsomeman

Mental health is not a joking matter, but i understand your quip.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Mental health seems to be the go-to, anyone-can-have-a-go subject for wannbe doctors or counsellors with no qualifications or experience and "tell me your problems" seems to be seen as a sort of homeopathy for mental health.

I feel it trivializes the subject.

border_walker and Sally006 like this.
  6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

In any case, can't people just use this Forum if they want to discuss personal matters with teachers or ex-teachers.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

This forum is not quite so anonymous as it may appear. I was thinking just yesterday about this big push of programmes on the BBC with "stars" who have had mental issues, like David Harewood and Nadiya. My thought was "everyone has mental health issues", combined with "what is normal". I think there might be some genuine friendships on here, but like most sites, despite "moderators" there is a fair amount of bullying and abuse. I do not think discussion of mental health issues on here is a good idea. The odd thread gets started (usually by a new poster, so nobody knows if it is genuine or a wind up) some posters take the mick, some question it, some attempt to help. Nevertheless, this is not really the place.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Fair enough.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I assume that if anyone contacts the OP via TES he will be quite happy to provide further details of his plans then it is the choice of posters whether to proceed.

His opening post was polite and not pushy in any way and I think sometimes the forum can appear unwelcoming to new people.

It's not as if he's asked endless banal questions or treated us to unbelievable scenarios.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  10. oldsomeman

It's not the impoliteness of the request Sooty. It's the fact its often a new poster with no form or our knowledge of that person/
    Had the searched there are help areas although I appreciate folks sometimes are at a loss where to post.
    Last time I posted about mental l issues on here I ended up with a number of folk making comments which I did not find supportive. So generally I, for one, would not use this forum for such an issue, but it is up to everyone to choose.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Will we have to move and work and pay in 95% of whatever we have?

12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I can certainly understand not wanting to post publicly about stuff which you might get shot down for. However the OP to be fair to him didn't ask anyone to do that.

Everyone has to be new and beginning their posting at some point though and I do think we could sometimes be a bit more welcoming. I do however draw the line at posters who start loads of banal trivial threads and don't engage with anyone once they've posted!

border_walker likes this.
  13. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

[This thread has been locked to prevent further issues developing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.