1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to become SENDCO

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by emie2203, Apr 22, 2016.

1. emie2203

emie2203 New commenter

Hi all!
    I'm pretty new to the whole teaching game and I was just wanting some advice on becoming SENDCO. I'm currently working long term supply cover in a Special Needs School and I'm wanting to take my first steps towards becoming SENDCO.
    I'm going into my third year of teaching and I'm hoping to either stay on at the school or to move on to another SEN School/ A SEN base in a mainstream school.
    How long do I need to be in teaching before I even consider applying? Do I need additional qualifications or are they just desirable?
    I feel my age is going to be a big issue in this step as I'm incredibly young and I feel I won't be taken seriously when it comes to interviews. Any tips?

I hope you're all having a lovely Friday!

2. mrmatt73

mrmatt73 Occasional commenter

As a starting point, ask yourself the question: "Why do I want to become a SENCO ?"

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I think that any setting which takes provision for its SEND students seriously should be looking at someone with a proven track record of success with students across the age and ability range but crucially to have had some significant achievement in getting the best out of those with Additional Needs. It takes a while to hone your skills in the classroom as an inclusive practioner and then ideally you should be able to demonstrate strong leadership and management qualities and be able to articulate your vision for inclusion. Important to have ' street cred ' with the staff also I feel. I suspect some schools struggle to appoint in this role and there is rarely kudos associated with the post although I accept that this very much depends on the impact the nominated person has on provision, their integrity and their capacity to instill confidence in staff, parents and Governors. Ask yourself are you ready to take on this responsibilty ? because the students in your care will suffer if you are not in a position to demonstrate these fundamental 'non negociables' . Hope this does not sound harsh .

4. sarsoflynn

sarsoflynn New commenter

hi - I don't know where you are working. I am the principal lecturer in Special and Inclusive Education at Roehampton University. Since 2008/9 the DFE and Legislation in England has said that within three years of becoming a SENCO you must complete the Post graduate National Award for SENCOs Qualification. In order to find out more about this you need to go to the NASEN website as a starting point. They have a list of all universities and providers of this award. They also have lots of useful information about SEND.
    You need to be working in a mainstream school and either aspiring to be a SENCO or in post as a SENCO. The head teacher of the school needs to approve you doing the award. It generally requires you to take up to 10 days out of school over the course of a year to attend training/lectures - but not all courses require this. The course is usually 60 credits towards an MA but qualifies you as a SENCO. My experience of those who have the qualification is that they get promoted fairly quickly to leadership roles in primary schools as it is a fairly tough leadership course. Three years is not a hugely long time to have been teaching - however, there is a recruitment crisis and you are being very forward looking and thinking about your future career. Perhaps discuss it with colleagues who know you. Age is not necessarily a barrier.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I can only speak from experience as someone who has delivered on the Accreditation for a different provider but I don't think that many aspects of the Award necessarily give you the best / any foundation for leading , or even demonstrating an aptitude for managing provision effectively in this role. I understand why the previous poster has taken the time to illustrate what someone would need to do to pursue this potential career pathway but I feel strongly that securing the ' qualification ' does not actually prepare you for many of the practical components of the job . I realise that perhaps this is not entirely its function and applaud the opportunity that the programme presents to have colleagues read , research and reflect on their SENCO role but I don't think anyone should assume that the outcomes are great preparation for the real demands of the post.