1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to be part time.

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by ultimatedingbat, May 14, 2016.

1. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Occasional commenter

Any advice? Some schools seem dubious about my applications for part time as if I don't really want it I'm just applying for everything. I would like to do my masters in the near future, improve my work life balance, but also there's alot of personal things going on that I feel would benefit from me not being full time.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

In what way

Best wishes

3. ultimatedingbat

I've been asked when I get to interview if I'm aware it's part time, am I happy with this.
    Been sent by the agency for job share roles and being asked to confirm that I won't jump ship at a full time opportunity.

It seems like because I don't have children they're concerned I'[m just applying for everything including part time.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Have you got something in your letter of application about your motivation for wanting to work part-time? If not, I can understand their worries, particularly if your application is coming via an agency (I expect they're quite happy to send people who want full-time to interviews for part-time, expecting that they will be able to use them for supply on other days). It sounds as if you've got a mix of reasons for wanting part-time; it might come across better if you focus on one of them, or maybe two.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  5. ultimatedingbat

My main reason is I'd like to pursue my masters in the near future. THe family stuff has happened which is another major catalyst in my decision, however its not something I'm 100% comfortable talking about at interview. I've been open and honest at every interview as best I can with my reasons forf wanting part time. It is in my application letter.

6. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Lead commenter

I think my candour helped me to secure my most recent post. I was concerned filling in the application that there might be safe guarding issues as I have had a lot of gaps in my employment. I briefly outlined these and talked about them in more detail during the interview.The panel wanted to talk about this (I think to try and get to know me better, ascertain my motivation)I think they found my honesty refreshing. I also tried to put a positive spin on it and I think it helped to build trust and they could see I would be committed to the role I was applying for, understood it and would not be jumping ship. I can understand why you might not want to talk about personal things.
    Have you looked at TheoGriff's advice about selling yourself and identifying 3 USP's that you can focus on in the interview? I did this for my last application/interview and it really helped, along with mind mapping. I looked at the school's website in detail, I googled the school, looked at what they had awards for, what their ethos appeared to be and luckily a lot of it seemed to chime with my values. Then I tried to demonstrate in my answers how valuable I would be to them.
    I think because I had prepared, I felt prepared and although I was super nervous I also came across as confident and knowledgeable.