1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to be an AST

Discussion in 'English' started by madsteph, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help. I've been teaching for 4 years (had various different responsibilities since I finished my NQT year) and am now second in dept but my ideal goal is to be an AST. I've always received 'good' lesson observations or good with elements of outstanding. I've just had my first year in a new school and when observed by LA twice (with the same class - only 20 minute obs though) I received outstanding. I'm not sure how I ended up getting this outcome but am damn sure that I want to achieve it again and was disappointed when I only got good with elements of outstanding again for my performance management obs at the end of the year. I work extremely hard (as I'm sure all teachers do) and would really like to get to AST but I'm wondering whether I'm cut out for it. Do you need to have been getting outstanding in all lessons to ideally apply? I'd like to think I give a lot more to my school than just being a classroom teacher and am always seeking new ways in which to make lessons engaging and to ensure progression. I've been given an awful lot of C/D borderline classes and whilst I've got a fair few students their 'C' grades, the type of students I've ended up with hasn't always led to me having 100% success rate. I feel I have the drive and determination to succeed but would hate to find that I don't stand a chance because I haven't been able to get dozens of outstandings.

Can anyone offer their experience? When is the best time apply - when you're hitting outstanding consistently? Isn't there more evidence to offer other than just in lessons?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Happy to help

Email me directly at geekswhoteach@me.com

I am an AST.

3. Hi Geeks - I'm HoD and was thinking about applying for an AST post - may I email you too?

4. fishtail

fishtail New commenter

You might find it helpful to look at the NCL website where there is a section for aspiring ASTs with lots of excellent advice. Or you can ask me if you like at incisivewit@gmail.com