1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to be a deputy but not a head

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by whowhatwhy, Mar 25, 2012.

1. I have been teaching for 5 years and am currently in post as a senior teacher. I have been on various leadership courses and thought long and hard recently about my career, coming to the conclusion that I would like to be a deputy but not become a head.
    I enjoy being part of SLT and shaping the future of the school and evaluating impact of teaching and learning on children. I have enjoyed the increased responsibilities that come with SLT however, I feel that being a head and having ultimate responsililty for school would be something that I do not want in the future.
    I realise that as a deputy I would need to step up as the headteacher and I have done this as part of my current role on a few occasions, but the budgeting/various staffing issues/exclusions/politics/etc... are parts of the role as headteacher that I would not like and I don't think I would be good at.
    I am wondering what a school would think to appointing a deputy who did not want to become a headteacher? I also realise that as I progress in my career I may change my mind and I have many people who see leadership potential in me and believe I should be a headteacher, but I want to do it because I want to, not because others believe I should!
    Sorry for the rambling post - any advice or experiences would be welcomed.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Same here. People have said I would make a brilliant head but I have no desire to be one. It's a very hard job and you're on to a looser for most of the time as you can't please everyone.
    So I am applying for deputy posts at the moment and I don't have to announce that I don't want headship. And you never know, once I have a few years of deputy under my belt, something may, may come along that I fancy but it'll have to be good!

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Oh - I meant loser!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Whilst you say you realise that you'd have to 'step up', how would you feel if the head went under the metaphorical bus - if s/he were suddenly seriously ill (even died - it has happened) or resigned and went off suddenly - and you were put in the position of having to take over for a term or more? You'd have to do all those things you don't fancy doing then.

5. If it happened then of course I would step up as needed, however I have been in school in past where interim head was put in place until head returned as deputy did not feel ready for that step.
    I also know others who have stepped up for a time then returned quite happily to deputy role when new head had been found.
    I know that being a deputy is a big responsibility and I know that I would be willing to take that on, however being a head is an even bigger responsibility that I do not feel I would be ready to take on full time. I know that in years to come I could change my mind but I do not see that happening.
    Greta444, its good to know that I am not alone in feeling this way!

6. R13

R13 New commenter

There is nothing wrong at all with not wishing to be a Head - but I can't see why you would then wish to be a Deputy. As you can see the comment from another colleague in the SMT section, where describes her role - very much of it involves things you describe as not of interest