1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting to apply for AH/DH...do I have a chance?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by minnieminx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I trained 16 years ago as a secondary teacher, but taught for about 10 years in a 9-13 middle school. Then relocated and have taught about 5 years in a primary school, 3 years on contracts and 2 on supply.

To be honest, I'm bored brainless as a classteacher, although I mentor NQTs and students, run clubs for all key stages and booster classes for year 6 and co-ordinate science. I am doing what I did 10 years ago in middle school and am desperate to move on (Back up to where I was when I left middle school). I am looking at the person spec for a DH post and can meet all the criteria (essential and desirable), but mostly from 6-7 years ago, not so much recently.

Do I really need to work my way back up gradually, step by step, or can I use evidence from a while ago on my application and still have a good chance of being successful?

Is the competition just as fierce for DH/AH posts as it is for classteacher ones and so someone not trained, nor very experienced in the phase, has no chance?

Any thoughts and advice very welcome.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I trained 16 years ago as a secondary teacher, but taught for about 10 years in a 9-13 middle school. Then relocated and have taught about 5 years in a primary school, 3 years on contracts and 2 on supply.

To be honest, I'm bored brainless as a classteacher, although I mentor NQTs and students, run clubs for all key stages and booster classes for year 6 and co-ordinate science. I am doing what I did 10 years ago in middle school and am desperate to move on (Back up to where I was when I left middle school). I am looking at the person spec for a DH post and can meet all the criteria (essential and desirable), but mostly from 6-7 years ago, not so much recently.

Do I really need to work my way back up gradually, step by step, or can I use evidence from a while ago on my application and still have a good chance of being successful?

Is the competition just as fierce for DH/AH posts as it is for classteacher ones and so someone not trained, nor very experienced in the phase, has no chance?

Any thoughts and advice very welcome.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Personally, I'd be looking for more recent experience at primary level. You're often expected to
    Co ordinate the curriculum at this level so experience of literacy/ numeracy co ordination would be handy.
    It varies countrywide but in my neck of the woods competition for Deputy posts is pretty fierce.
    I'd visit the school first and sound out the HT, you never know. I know of some people who've made the move.
    Think carefully about how you can develop yourself and your influence school wide in your current role. Good luck!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOW that was quick, thank you very much.

I am thinking it...and am doing so. But still feel a bit 'been there, done that'.

I know what you mean about lit/num, but not sure I can do more than I currently am, without totally stamping on the toes of the current co-ordinators. I run clubs for all key stages linked to both, have entered the school into competitions they'd not entered before and subtly influence teachers to try new ideas. However I did co-ordinate numeracy in middle school and took the dept from unsatisfactory (just before I took over) to good, in the days when subjects were marked individually. Would this count for nothing, as it was a while ago?

Visiting the school is probably a good idea, though the current, acting, head is retiring at easter so probably won't have much say in what happens. I do however work with his wife, so might sound her out a bit as well. This post was a bit more of a general one I think...

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Anyone else got any ideas please? (Not that I didn't appreciate yours Curlygirly, just looking for as many as possible.)

6. What about doing a leadership course and getting at least started on the headteacher qualification, whatever it's called? That would show you mean business and may impress some.

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You have to be 18 months from headship for NPQH now.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can't do Leading from the Middle where I am now as too many people already doing it when I arrived. And yes can't do NPQH either as I intend to be a DH/AH for a little longer than 18 months.

9. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

I amn similar position Minnie except that I have 20 years primary experience but had to have some time out due to family bereavemnents. I feel your frustration- I can't do any leadership courses either as I am "not senior enough" at my current school to go on them, but how do I get the leadership expereince if there's nothing to lead and nowhere to go. I am thinking I must move schools to get a more senior position, so maybe you must do same and take advice from others and build up your experience. Good luck!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I know that thought 'nothing to lead and nowhere to go'!

Moving schools for a more senior position is what I am thinking, hence the original post. But would anyone give me a more senior post elsewhere? It is sooo frustrating when I used to have that senior post, just in a middle school. Soooo shouldn't have fallen in love 6 years ago and relocated...career disaster!

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I think that one does have to have an appropriate Work-Life balance.
    Love life, that is, Minnie!
    But
    This is a strength to note in any application. And can you not come upfront in your school, say you are eager to take on more responsibilities, so what can you please take on now, whole-school project or responsibility?
    Take on now, voluntarily. They won't pull a TLR out of the attic.
    Taking this on will help you get back into the swing of leadership roles, will cure the boredom, will give you something for your application.
    Might spice up your (love) life?
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you for all that.

I am now organising and mentoring student teachers across the school, we had never had any before. Also training other staff to be teacher tutors to the students in their class.

I have set up a house system, with help from house captains, and we are now starting to organise events.

I've set up paired class work, involving nursery and reception for the first time.

But maybe I should offer to do some more formal stuff that looks fab on applications, SEN, G&T, assessment and all that. But the DH might not be too thrilled with me taking on half his job! Nor will the TLR holders, a few of whom are a bit funny about things like that. Ahh well.

Think you are all probably right and I just need to keep on doing what I am in my own school for a while, and adding lots of other bits voluntarily first.