1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanting a way out

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Setharoo, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am really looking for advice. I am so miserable in teaching and I just don't know what to do.
    I am in my ninth year of teaching and am currently a TLR holder.
    For eight years I worked at the same school. I was very happy for the first four years but then felt that I was stagnating and wanted a new challenge. I stayed for another four years as the job was 'convinient'. In my seventh year at the school, the school went into Special Measures and, to be honest, although it was difficult, I eventually (although having to go onto anti-depressants) found myself enjoying the challenge and we came it.
    Despite rising to the challenge, the job did come at a price. I was working tremendously long hours and this affected my relationship with my wife and children.
    Regardless of this an opportunity arose to join a new school in Special Measures, but with more money.
    After lots of discussion with my wife, I decided to go for it, feeling enthused that I could bring all of my ideas and help the school.
    The first few months were great, but recently my health has declined as a result. The anti - depressants I have been taking have damaged my organs and to be honest, my mental health has become quite poor. I am very paranoid and feel miserable all of the time.
    To make this worse, I have just found out that the SLT do not think I am doing a good enough job, which has completely torn my soul to shreds. They believe that I am 'lazy', which isn't me as I have always given 100% and have stupidly sacrificed my family on so many ocassions for my job.
    The 'lazy' jibe came from a misunderstanding, which as far as I knew was rectified and caused me a considerable amount of pain, as I hate to feel I have let work down.
    I have decided that I want to get out of teaching, but am too scared, as I know it will result in much less money. I want my family and my health back and I know that these are so important, especially as my paranoid feelings of not being valued actually ring true.
    Has anyone else decided to make the jump out of teaching? I don't want to do anything high pressured any more and the idea of sales terrifies me. I just don't know what to do. My initial feeling is to phone in sick, but I don't want things to end like this, even though I know things won't get any better.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this,
    James

2. Hi,
    I am really looking for advice. I am so miserable in teaching and I just don't know what to do.
    I am in my ninth year of teaching and am currently a TLR holder.
    For eight years I worked at the same school. I was very happy for the first four years but then felt that I was stagnating and wanted a new challenge. I stayed for another four years as the job was 'convinient'. In my seventh year at the school, the school went into Special Measures and, to be honest, although it was difficult, I eventually (although having to go onto anti-depressants) found myself enjoying the challenge and we came it.
    Despite rising to the challenge, the job did come at a price. I was working tremendously long hours and this affected my relationship with my wife and children.
    Regardless of this an opportunity arose to join a new school in Special Measures, but with more money.
    After lots of discussion with my wife, I decided to go for it, feeling enthused that I could bring all of my ideas and help the school.
    The first few months were great, but recently my health has declined as a result. The anti - depressants I have been taking have damaged my organs and to be honest, my mental health has become quite poor. I am very paranoid and feel miserable all of the time.
    To make this worse, I have just found out that the SLT do not think I am doing a good enough job, which has completely torn my soul to shreds. They believe that I am 'lazy', which isn't me as I have always given 100% and have stupidly sacrificed my family on so many ocassions for my job.
    The 'lazy' jibe came from a misunderstanding, which as far as I knew was rectified and caused me a considerable amount of pain, as I hate to feel I have let work down.
    I have decided that I want to get out of teaching, but am too scared, as I know it will result in much less money. I want my family and my health back and I know that these are so important, especially as my paranoid feelings of not being valued actually ring true.
    Has anyone else decided to make the jump out of teaching? I don't want to do anything high pressured any more and the idea of sales terrifies me. I just don't know what to do. My initial feeling is to phone in sick, but I don't want things to end like this, even though I know things won't get any better.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this,
    James

3. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Ok I am going to tell you off now, but it's all "said" really kindly so don't think I am being unkind!
    You silly billy, you've worked at two schools in Special Measures! No wonder you're knackered! Instead of getting out of teaching, for goodness sake get a job in a 'normal' school. A management that led a school into NIT then SM are not fit to stand in judgement over anybody so ignore the "lazy" jibe. Go somewhere where you will be happy. WOrkplaces should not as a matter of normaility cause people to take anti depressants!

4. I appreciate the comments, but the SLT are new, hungry go getters. They were brought in to sort the problems and so was I. I don't even have enough hours in the day to do everything I want for my job, I often go in through the holidays. I just don't know what to do!

5. I absolutely agree with the poster (sorry -lost the name) who said that you need a new school. SM is a gruelling slog, and clearly the SMT and TLR holders don't seem to be "all in this together" to get the school out. Words like " lazy" simply aren't helpful - you said it was due to a misunderstanding but that really isn't the point - if they believe you aren't doing something they need to be very frank and assertive and ask you to do it - bandying words like "lazy" and saying "you don't work hard enough" is pointless and frankly puerile.

I've been in an SM school, and like you I enjoyed it. For complicated reasons I got a job elsewhere, and I honestly cannot believe the change in myself. I've had one migraine in 15 months, rather than my usual monthly one; I have time and energy for my husband and child; my husband and my friends say I'm like my old self again.

I'm telling you this because you are clearly a good teacher, so it would be a shame to let your current situation damage your health, self-esteem and career. Find a different school. If you still hate it, then teaching isn't for you, but please, please don't quit altogether because you're having a tough time at the tough end. Recharge your batteries, apply elsewhere. Reconsider in a year or so.

All the very best xxx

6. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

I dont know if 'normal' schools are any better - I had a tlr in a large school for looking after a phase - I left for a managment job in an outstanding school - it soon became clear it was not the job for me - a head that ruled by fear and treated/soke to you like a servant - I left after 6months with CA - schools/heads are all in fear of inspections - data obssessed and dont look at children as individuals! I to am beginning to wonder if I am in the right job!

7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

No honestly, it depends, I had a bad experience once in a 'good' school but it was literally just wrong place and wrong time.
    My point is though that SM schools demand a great deal from their staff - they have to - if you are a good teacher you can pick and choose your school, you do not need to put up with nonsense.