1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanted - inspirational speaker for INSET day teachers conference

Discussion in 'Primary' started by foxyferrari, Jan 27, 2011.

1. I've been given the job of helping to organise a one day conference for a big cluster of primaries in my area. The audience will be heads, teachers and TAs. Everyone is agreed that we need a good strong keynote speaker who will energise, motivate and inspire the audience, remind them why they went into teaching in the first place, help them work out how they can still deliver top quality stuff in these dark days of cuts/Gove madness and general hand-wringing - oh, and perk them up after Christmas (it's January 2012). Anyone heard any good speakers lately? Or been on a course that got them back buzzing with ideas? Any thoughts welcome on this subject.

2. I've been given the job of helping to organise a one day conference for a big cluster of primaries in my area. The audience will be heads, teachers and TAs. Everyone is agreed that we need a good strong keynote speaker who will energise, motivate and inspire the audience, remind them why they went into teaching in the first place, help them work out how they can still deliver top quality stuff in these dark days of cuts/Gove madness and general hand-wringing - oh, and perk them up after Christmas (it's January 2012). Anyone heard any good speakers lately? Or been on a course that got them back buzzing with ideas? Any thoughts welcome on this subject.

3. funambule

funambule New commenter

Mick Waters ex QCA ? He has a totally different take, inspirational and charismatic.

4. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Richard McCan. (one of the Yorkshire Ripper's victim's children) extremly inspirational speaker. he came to our joint training day. Think he charges a fair whack but he was fantastic. Was paid for between the four middle schools.

5. Sir John Jones or Richard Gerver. Both very good.

6. I'll do it for a pork pie and a bottle of fizzy water.

I can be inspirational for processed meat and carbonated water.

7. Ian Gilbert - fantastic speaker!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm wary of 'inspirational.'

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've experienced John Jones and Mick Waters.
    John Jones (who I've sat through 3 times) does exactly the same presentation to whichever audience asks him, even when you tell him what 'slant' or theme you want. He's amusing but 'inspirational' he isn't.
    Mick Waters - can be amusing (and he tells ther same jokes too, even some that I've heard Gervaise Finn tell as if he experienced them personally), but he's not ''inspiring either. His work at QCA amounted to not much at all.
    If you want amusing and entertaining - either of those will do it, but all you're doing is making people laugh. You might as well put on a Peter Kay dvd.

10. Pie Corbett? Only literacy but sure to inspire!

11. I've checked out his website, sounds good (but it would on his website!) - anyone else been to an Ian Gilbert presentation/course?
    I've also heard excellent things about Andy Cope (Art of Brilliance) - views? relevance to primary teachers?

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

If I were a Head, the cost of such a dubious exercise would plunge me into depression.

13. Hello,
    My name is Bill Rodgers and if you are looking for a way to start your conference, here you are. We, at HumourUs, have spoken at many educational conferences, head teachers conferences, Inset days, teaching assitant conferences and teacher training days. Our ethos is simple, people who have fun get more done.
    As Sue Roe of education Leeds said:
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="bodytext">The feedback from the session was, without exception, absolutely fantastic and thanks again for an amazing performance you were brilliant Bill and it was just what the conference needed.Thanks Again for stepping up and being Fantastic!! </td></tr><tr><td class="captiontext">[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td class="quotebold">Susan Roe, Consultant for School Staff Development School Improvement Service National Strategies
    And as Elspeth Jones, Dean Leeds Metropolitan University said:
    Thank you, Kate. Your speech was both highly amusing and deeply moving, with some serious messages which we have been trying to apply since hearing you. Your performance really set the tone for the rest of the day, and we have had very positive feedback from colleauges across the Faculty and our international visitors. I hope you enjoyed the session as much as we did.

If there is anything we can do for you, do not hesitate to get in touch at www.humourus.co.uk.
    Kind Regards

Bill
    </td></tr></table>

14. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

How about Eddie Carron? He'll get everyone going for level 5s and might not charge you anything!

15. I have spoken at a few conferences, explaining what makes learning to read and write English much harder than other alphabetic languages and how best to deal with its problems.
    My main aim has always been to give teachers more confidence in what they are doing, without being made anxious by the sellers of miracle cures.
    My website www.EnglishSpellingProblems.co.uk and blogs give u an idea what I have researched and what I know.
    Masha Bell

16. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

She's not a teacher, but have you heard of Jan Meek? http://www.janmeek.com/ She's one incredible lady and her after-dinner talk is truly inspirational.
    Her motto is "Why not?" Her son was planning to row the Atlantic, but his rowing partner had to drop out ... so he asked his mum to do it with him. They have since both been to the North Pole. She's done both the geographic & magnetic. She's the only woman to have rowed and ocean & walked to a Pole. More men have walked on the moon than have done this.
    She's raising money for a South Pole trip. No-one has rowed the Pacific and walked to both poles.
    She tells her story in a brilliant way. Very personal, packed with anecdotes, and she has great photos.
    Why not?

17. CB123

CB123 New commenter

This is again a literacy link but I recently went to a Ross Wislon course - shae was funny and very inspirational.
    Ive not seen Pie Corbett, but I know some who have and they did say he was very good. Guess it depends if you want it to be general or link to an area of learning

18. Ray Maher - maths - will entertain and motivate

19. Alan Peat literacy /Anthony Reddy Numeracy
    www.alanpeat.com

20. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

&pound;2K in my pocket and I'll tell you a thing or two....