1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanted: Fashion Advice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain oats, May 8, 2011.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I have been invited to a friend's wedding, I will be going to the ceremony and reception, the wedding isn't until August but I am already in a huge panic - what do I wear?

I have absolutely no style whatsoever (which my sister likes to remind me of on regular occasions) and I am not a fan of wearing skirts or dresses so I have no idea what I'm going to do!

I will consider wearing a dress (with the possibility of wearing it with tights/leggings??) but if not a dress what else could I wear instead? But if I don't wear a dress will I look really out of place?

All options considered, please post links and pictures if possible, thanks :)

2. Nicely fitted white or light coloured linen trousers with a nice top?

3. Next have some really nice trousers at the moment

Linen

Cropped

Wide leg

Patterned

With matching and/or co-ordinating tops

4. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

If I were you,I'd look for something that you like and feel good in rather than looking for a "wedding outfit". Those tend to be so similar and everyone looks like a clone.
    Do you like tunic type dresses? There are some really nice ones around and they can look dressy but comfortable.

5. captain oats

Thanks, will check out the Next website.
    I 'm glad people are suggesting trousers :)

6. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Nice linen trousers with a tunic top sound nice.

7. captain oats

I am going to try and add links to this message so apologies if it goes wrong!
    I have found some items I quite like, what do people think of this?

Jacket

Trousers (tan)

8. I am not a fan of white linen so the jacket would be a no from me

The top is pretty but would need to be seen with the trousers to make sure they were dressed up enough by it

9. I love all three, I think the top and trousers would look really nice but as much as I like the jacket it looks like it might be too bulky over such a delicate top. The jacket and trousers would work together maybe with a more fitted, less ornate top? Just a thought.....

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I really like the top and trousers but the jacket looks a bit formal to me.
    I would suggest looking for more of a pretty wrap with some pinks & browns in to dress the top and trousers up a bit more.

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

12. captain oats

Thanks for all the tips. I will look again for something to go over the top, these are just ideas after all.

13. Can I just add my twopennorth and state that you should under no circumstances even think about wearing a dress with leggings undeneath.

14. captain oats

That's exactly the reason I started this thread, I need to know this kind of thing. Thanks :)

15. Why don't you want a dress? Do you not want to fork out for something you'll never wear again? Personally I find a dress a short-cut solution to most clothing dilemmas. You don't have to match it up with anything and the variety of shapes and styles available means that there's something to suit everyone. What sort of size/shape are you?

16. captain oats

I've never really worn dresses and I just don't think they suit me. I'm 5'7" and usually wear size 12/14, I'm happy with my figure but hate my legs, especially my knees!
    I wouldn't really want to wear a long dress because I just wouldn't feel like myself.

17. Coast? Look at the Wedding tab and scroll down. Near the bottom there are some trouser and top combinations that look quite dressy and summery.

18. captain oats

I'll have a look, thanks.