1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to Train to Teach................HELP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MShaw1985, Jul 12, 2015.

1. MShaw1985

MShaw1985 New commenter

I am currently working as a full time TA but would like to train to teach.

I have a level 3 diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning by CACHE.

I do not have GCSEs

Is there any way around this or is there anyway I can do these whilst also doing Teaching Degree?

Also are IGCSEs the same as GCSEs?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

GCSE or equivalent qualifications are an entry requirement of initial teacher training. Some universities do offer equivalent entry examinations for BED's but you need to consider sitting GCSE's to put you on a level playing field with other candidates, plus your knowledge would also be securer. You also have to sit and pass the skills tests in literacy and numeracy before starting ITT.

You can study for a degree rather than a teaching degree then consider completing GCSE's during your degree studies.

IGCSE's have the same official status but are generally considered harder papers than GCSE.

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

You could consider a Foundation Degree, then a top up then a PGCE.

4. I would just do the GCSEs and get that out of the way. You don't want anyone at a later date questioning your suitability for teacher training or indeed, teaching.