1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to train but no GCSE's

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Stavinor, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Stavinor

Stavinor New commenter

Hello there
    My name is Scott and i am looking to get into teaching however I do not have my maths or English GCSE's. I did go to university and get a First for Digital media Production.
    I currently work full time doing shift work and I cannot commit to a Math or english collage evening course.
    Have you guys got any advice you can give me.

Kind Regards
    Scott

2. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

For teacher training they accept GCSE or equivalent qualifications.
    Equivalent qualifications include UK qualifications before GCSEs began in 1985 (unlikely if you are a recent graduate), some BTEC level 2 qualifications or Access courses and some overseas qualifications e.g. the International Bacc (IB).
    As you have a degree, I would check with a local PGCE course provider before starting any GCSE course.
    I think many PCGE courses also require GCSE Science as well.
    If you are doing shift work, a distance learning option may be the best way to go about it.
    The other issue for teacher training is how your degree links to the National Curriculum.

3. Stavinor

Stavinor New commenter

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I will check with my local PGCE Provider first before i do anything else. Thanks again

KInd Regards
    Scott

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

5. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

I have used ET (the link above) and did it through self study and exam only. Had to do it for 3 subjects (maths, English, bio) and thankfully passed them all.
    It is possible, just double check your university accepts it!

6. dorinaki

dorinaki New commenter

Sanneme, can I ask how long did it take you for maths? As in, how many hours per week or day and for how long? I will have to retake GCE maths too!