1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to throw in the towel

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by francium, Feb 24, 2012.

1. I'm really struggling with my NQT year. I've been flagged as a failing NQT, and then ended up taking six weeks off work with serious stress and depression (a pre-existing condition that wasn't halped by work). I've just come back to work and have had my first observation - I thought it was a vast improvement (and the class behaved so much better with the observer in there than they would normally), and it was still rated as inadequate.
    The only reason I haven't resigned yet is that a) I cannot afford to. I have no safety net to fall back on at all. No family can help me out here, and b) I have no idea what I'll do otherwise. In this current job market, I have very little chance of getting anything else.
    I genuinely don't know what to do. A lot of the time I quite like my job and the kids, but I do feel at the end of my tether with this. Any advice?

2. loranp

loranp New commenter

What support have your school put in place for you? If they have highlighted you as 'failing' (they can only officially fail you at the end of your third assessment period) then they have a duty to organise a support strategy for you.
    You don't say which standards they think you are failing to meet, but be aware when you are observed that there is more to passing an observation than behaviour management. They need to give you detailed feedback of exactly what was missing/inadequate about your lesson so that you can set yourself targets for improvement. Are you having regular mentor meetings? There should be someone in the school whose strength is your weakness, find out who and ask them for advice, maybe ask if you can observe one of their lessons.
    Don't give up!

3. Hi,
    If they are constantly giving you 'inadequate' for your lesson obs, then they must be saying WHY it was inadequate? Once you have htis in writng, like the previous poster said, find someone in the school who has this as a strength and ask for advice.
    I was like this as a 2nd year student. I got 3 inadequates ina row....but started to put things right. IN my plans I highlighted the points from the last obs so they could see I was taking on board what they were telling me and then actually DOING it in lesson. My third year and PGCE I got consistently Good and Outstanding lesson obs.
    I'm not in a brilliant school but at the minute we are all having constant observations (as in 2/3 a week it seems). My first on Tuesday was satisfactory but my second I got good with many elements of outstabding! My plans (which I had annotated to include improvement points) went down well as they could see I had done EVERYTHING they had pulled me up on. Next week I'm determind to get Outstanding. I don't do anything different in observations (at the minute we can't as they could be any time!), but any points they say i need to improve on...I DO and I SHOW them in the next lesson.
    Good luck and don't give up. You must have done something right as a student otherwise you wouldn't be an NQT so look back and see what you did right!
    doodles