1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to teach overseas after PGCE but worried about NQT

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by zgjim_konjuhi, Jan 11, 2017.

?

Does working abroad after getting QTS reduce chances of getting NQT

1. Yes - significantly

14.3%
  2. Yes - marginally

14.3%
  3. No, not at all

14.3%
  4. Neither / Depends

57.1%
  1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Agree the Englishtt06, the adult thing to do would be defer gratification and stay in the uk another year.

(not that I've always made the adult choice myself:rolleyes:)

2. fsmc

fsmc Occasional commenter

I'd go for 'the cowardly and boring option is to stay for another year'.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

The '5 year rule' refers to the amount of time you can teach short-term supply in a state school without completing your NQT year. There is no time limit in which to complete your NQT year, but after 5 years your employment options are limited to long-term supply, permanent posts and non-state-sector schools.

Usually in the UK you are asked at interview whether you are still a serious candidate for the role, which means, if we offer it to you, will you accept? If you say you are a serious candidate, then it is expected that you will take the role if offered; if you were offered it and then rejected it, it could reflect negatively on you in the future (particularly if you are applying in the same LA - word gets around, and no-one likes a time-waster).
    You can apply for jobs in both countries, to keep your options open, but it is considered polite to withdraw from further interviews once you have been offered (and accepted) a position.

You are kept informed during the year about your progress and whether you are on track to reach the standards to pass the year. If you aren't on track, support should be put in place to help you, but if things still aren't going well, you are encouraged to request early release before the end of the year. That way, you don't finish the year and don't fail. You then have the chance to finish the year in a different school, perhaps after gaining more experience through supply.

As I said above, it depends how long you spend away from the UK. If you spend, for example, three years in Dubai, you could do supply for two years when you get back. If you spend five years in Dubai, you wouldn't be able to do any short-term supply (5 year rule).