1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to teach in South East Asia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Tinyfairy, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

Hi all,
    I am about to enter my third year of teaching, although my second year was spent part-time supply teaching whilst completing my Ma in Drama (so I don't yet have 2 years of full-time teaching experience)
    Anyway I would like to teach abroad, preferably China but possibly Vietnam. I have taught Drama from KS3-KS5 and have also worked as an examiner and moderator for Edexcel GCSE Drama and an examiner for Edexcel A level Drama.
    Can anyone advise me on ways to make myself more appealing to international school's? I know two years full-time teaching experience is generally required but I also know people with less experience than me who have secured posts.

2. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Get more experience. It is what overseas schools value most highly, and in fact older teachers seem more welcome than at home.
    Overseas the salary levels seem to me to be closer together, in my experience, and as such why would a school seek to employ someone with only limited experience when they can get someone with much more for almost the same money. In the UK, I's suggest salary scales are much more pertinant to attaining jobs and I've frequently lost out on a post to NQT's.

3. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

That's really helpful, thanks very much. I know experience is the key, however in the UK at the moment there are very few Drama positions and as such I am going to struggle to get the experience I need, it's a bit of a catch 22.

4. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

Also would it be worth me contacting school's directly in order to register my interest and ensure I am on their radar or is that a bit of a waste of time?
    Thanks

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

Truth is NQTs do go abroad and work, but they're unlikely the end up with the most appealing employers. There is no harm in sending out your CV, and you won't know the liklihood of securing a position until you try every avenue going.
    Good luck.

6. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

Thank you very much for this, I appreciate the advice and will 'try every avenue going' as you say and see what happens.
    If anyone with less than 2 years full-time teaching experience has managed to get a job at an international school (particularly if it was in South East Asia) please PM me as I would love to hear about your experience.

7. Hi Tiny Fairy
    I have been working in SE Asia for 11 Years, 3 of which were in Vietnam. I do not completely agree with the previous advice regarding experience or preferences of SEA schools.
    In my experience some schools like to hire NQTs or teachers with QTS, and when working in Vietnam the bulk of staff at my school (which is considered the best British school in Saigon) were young, with a few years experience from UK or Australia. With two to three years experience in the UK, regardless if some was supply or part time, you would be a good option for many schools.
    The more established schools get, the older some of the staff are, as many staff stay on after contract (if it is a good school). There are some schools in SEA that have had to place age limits (below 32) on applications, as they have had so many applicants, so youth is on your side!
    There are some schools, however, that do hire less experienced staff to save money. These are either start-up schools, or profit making schools that like to take advantage.
    Start up schools can be good, but be prepared to teach outside of your subject too as the school grows, Profit making schools, in many cases, are best to stay away from.
    At this time of year you will be best to wait for the next lot of jobs to be advertised, which can start as early as November for some of the best schools in SEA, for starting in August 2012.
    TES is the best place to look for these advertisements, but if you have a school in mind you can regularly look at their website to get the latest information.
    It is always good to write directly to a school to show interest as they may well remember you when the applications come in.
    Good Luck!
    PS: Vietnam is a fantastic place to live!

8. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

Hi the_deaks,
    That's brilliant advice, thank you so much! It's so helpful to talk to someone specifically about South East Asia.
    It's also really encouraging to hear that some school's prefer younger teachers as I was beginning to worry. To be honest August 2012 is probably the earliest I would want to go so I'll keep an eye out on TES and contact school's directly.
    Thanks again!

9. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

Sorry to keep asking so many questions but would I have a better chance of securing a position in an international school if I was IB trained or do school's prefer to train their own staff?

10. Do a search on this forum. The same questions was asked barely a fortnight ago.