1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to step down from HoD role

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Clouiseg, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Clouiseg

Clouiseg New commenter

I have been appointed as HoD this year. This is a position I desperately craved as I wanted to get to this position before I focused on my personal life. I am very quickly realising, however, that I am incredibly unhappy in my new role. I fear 'too much, too soon'. I am also newly married this year, but am finding the strain of the new job too much. I wish to look for a standard teaching post for next September and step down from the responsibility and reclaim my work-life balance, but am terrified that wanting to step down so soon is going to go against me. Also, I am on the upper pay scale so fear potential schools will now view me as too expensive. Please could I have some advice on what my best course of action is? Thank you.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

There is nolonger any pay portabilty, although some still honour it. So a new school could pay you anything that you are willing to accept. Can you accept what might be a large pay cut?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You will just need a brief sentence in your letter explaining why. Don't dwell on it, just make a clear statement about preferring to work directly with students rather than having the role of a Middle Manager.

As @wanet says, they needn't worry about you being expensive, as they can offer you what they can afford and what you are worth to them. You can do nothing about the first point, but it is up to you in your application to show them that they would be getting their money's worth!

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Juggling too many balls can be hard.

Best wishes for a peaceful Christmastide

[​IMG]