1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to start TTC but on fixed term contract???

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by becky70, Apr 6, 2011.

1. If it's a fixed term contract you will get your maternity pay if you've worked for long enough - which it sounds like you will have done.
    They don't have to continue your contract, pregnant or not, and I guess being away from work when it's up for renewal wouldn't help your chances of it being renewed.
    I'm on a fixed term contract and ttc (but have been ttc for years so not expecting to succeed really). My head knows I'm ttc as I've had IVF but I have no idea whether she'd have me back after having a baby - not quite brave enough to have that conversation.
    You might have more chance of keeping your job if you were prepared to come back at the school's convenience rather than your own e.g. at the start of the next academic year but when your baby arrives work may seem less important.
    If you're young enough (under 30) I'd ty to get a permanent post before ttc. I'm only doing it because I'm too old to leave it.

2. That sounds like good advice thanks! Trouble is, I suspect it will be a very long time before I am likely to be offered anything perm! :)
    I am only 26 so I guess plenty of time but husband is 36 so got to keep that in mind in terms of how long we wait.
    I hope all goes well for you with your IVF - not easy my sister going through it too. Thanks for the advice.
    xxx

3. Guess you are best off to just go for it now then! Think I'm going to start a thread asking those people who are on temp contracts/supply etc about what they're doing about returning to work.
    Thanks for your good wishes for the IVF x

4. Ok - so now just to get the husband in agreement :) Ha ha...
    Will keep an eye on the thread I just spotted it! Thank again and keep us posted with your progress x

xxx