1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to start running - any tips??

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dolly3900, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Firstly, good on ya.
    After many years of couch potatoeness and hating running with a vengance (ever since year 7 cross country), i decided to do something about getting myslef slim and fit.
    Started walking each day from house to next beach along the coast and back (2 miles round trip).
    Did that for a week to get into the habit.
    Next week, walk there, half way back, then a gently jog the last 1/2 mile.
    Week after, walk there, jog back.
    After about a month, I was gently jogging there and back, each evening.
    Every week after, I progressed to further and further trips, to the point of about 6-8 miles per night.
    One evening, horror of horrors, battery on the iPood ran out and rather than escaping into music, I had to start thinking, bad move, cos when I got home it was online and entered into a half marathon as what I had been thinking about was it would be a nice change to run with someone else for a change.
    Long story short, in the space of 10 months, went from sofa spud to half marathon, 19 1/2 stone to 14 and over £2000 for charity raised.
    My advice is to start out slow and short, stick to the routine of distance and time of day until you feel comfortable to change it, if you can find a runnign buddy all the better, but not essential, get an iPood or similar and most importantly, do not get cheap trainers, Asics or something like, designed for running, not fashion.
    Mike

2. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Wow - well done Mike! I could try similar as I live right by the beach!
    I'd recommend waiting to start running when you can run in daylight after work as it's so hard to get motivated when it's cold and dark outside. I'm trying to start up running again too...

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

My advicel DON'T. It will rapidly knacker knee, hip, and ankle joints, which are probably already damaged from doing it previously. Sounds like a sure fire way to crippledom to me.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I think this is a very valid point, though of course not all people have the same propensity to suffer from these kinds of impact and RSI's. I would suggest a gentle, gym based, re-introduction into running by using a cross trainer (very gentle on joints, bones, tendons etc) for a month. Get your flexibility and fitness level up a bit and then hit the open road.

5. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I'd have to disagree. Having just started, I'm out in the dark for two reasons:
    1) no-one will see the fatter, slower me - when it's light I will run easily along
    2) If I can do it at this time of year, the summer will be a doddle.
    If you wait, will you have found an excuse not to go? Get out there now!!

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Start by walking then increase the rate of leg movement.

7. I joined a running club to get me started and now I run with a group out of my local running shop. The group is free and it's possible other shops run something similar. When I started I couldn't run up the street and now I can just about manage 10K. Good Luck!