1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to start a school choir BUT I cannot sing

Discussion in 'Music' started by nastasiadilworth, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Hi all. I really need some advice. I'm a primary music coordinator who loves music. My school has never had a choir and I think that's a real shame. Can a start one without having any proper ability? I have thought about booking on to a course with singing for pleasure in order to learn the basics but am I a bit too enthusiastic? If I am to do this I want it to be done well. Just not sure if I'm the person for the job..

2. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

Let's be clear. When you say you cannot sing, how have you formed that opinion? Are you a growler and unable to hit the correct note?

You have a PM.

3. alisharp

alisharp New commenter

Could you maybe enlist another member of staff to help you with the choir, or maybe a musical parent? Personally , I think your enthusiasm will shine through. Maybe start with some well known songs until you feel more confident. Using a piano to teach melody lines will help too.

4. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

It didn't stop Gareth Malone. Go for it.

Lennox